3094 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

nettl startup error rx2660 - HPUX 11.31

Norman Dignard
Regular Advisor

nettl startup error rx2660 - HPUX 11.31

I'm getting the following error on startup:
Initializing Network Tracing and Logging...
nettl: Failed to start console logging due to invalid configuration file. Console logging will be disabled. To correct the problem, enter the command
netfmt -pc /var/adm/conslog.opts
and check the output. Done.

In running the ablove cmd I get:
/usr/lib/hpux32/dld.so: Unable to find library '/usr/lib/hpux32/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so'.

netfmt (158) Cannot attach subsystem shared library, "/usr/lib/hpux32/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so".
Verify the existence and permissions of the library file. Line 200 of "/etc/nettlgen.conf":
"SS:264:LVMPROVIDER:12:u:libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL:HPUXLVMProvider_NetTL:cimplvm_format_nettl_msg::LVM"

This is a fresh OS install. What is the problem and how to fix it.

3 REPLIES 3
Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

Re: nettl startup error rx2660 - HPUX 11.31

I would like to know the same thing, but for HP-UX 11i v1.

Anyone?

akio_kabutogi
Advisor

The error is caused because nettl detects non-existence file specified in /etc/nettlgen.conf.

The file in this case is ""/usr/lib/hpux32/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so". If you look at

/etc/nettlgen.conf, it only specifies the file as "libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL".  If you look at

man page of nettlegen.conf, it says about the librarary file like:

If the subformatter library file name does not contain an absolute
      path, it is assumed to be under /usr/lib.  The subformatter library
      must be a shared library.

On my system, I can see the following entry in nettlgen.conf:

SS:264:LVMPROVIDER:12:u:libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL:HPUXLVMProvider_NetTL:cimplvm_format_nettl_msg::LVM

and there're files like:

lrwxr-xr-x   1 root       sys             38 Nov 29 18:59 /usr/lib/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so -> /usr/lib/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so.1
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bin        bin          74080 May 24  2011 /usr/lib/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so.1

Here, the actual file to be used is "/usr/lib/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so.1".

In the case for the error,  I think this symbolic link points to:

"/usr/lib/hpux32/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.so".

but it does not exist in fact.

The directory "/usr/lib" is saerched when a file "/etc/SHLIB_PATH" has /usr/lib. If it does not contain /usr/lib,

then, nettl looks to search /usr/lib/hpux32.

In fact, when I remove /usr/lib from /etc/SHLIB_PATH file, i.e., with the following entry:

/etc/opt/resmon/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/wlm/lib

I can reproduced exact the same issue. Then, if I recover the file with the following entry:

/usr/lib:/etc/opt/resmon/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/wlm/lib

then, the problem went away.

Thus, my first suggestion is to try if /usr/lib is missing in /etc/SHLIB_PATH file :

# /sbin/init.d/nettl stop

# Edit /etc/SHLIB_PATH to add "/usr/lib"

# /sbin/init.d/nettl start

Hope this helps.

Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

Nope, this does not seem work for me.  In my case, I do have the /usr/lib path in /etc/SHLIB_PATH AND the library does NOT seem to exist on my system.  See below:

myhost:/# uname -a
HP-UX lisc1n1 B.11.11 U 9000/800 3394665986 unlimited-user license

myhost:/# cat /etc/SHLIB_PATH
/usr/lib:/etc/opt/resmon/lib:/opt/wlm/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/var/opt/netscape/servers/lib:/var/opt/netscape/servers/bin/slapd/lib:/var/opt/netscape/servers/bin/slapd/server/lib:/var/opt/netscape/servers/shared/lib:/opt/hp/RemoteSupport/uc-acc/bin

myhost:/# ls -l /etc/SHLIB_PATH
-r--r--r--   1 bin        bin            244 Mar  1  2010 /etc/SHLIB_PATH

myhost:/# netfmt -pc /var/adm/conslog.opts
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: /usr/lib/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.sl
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory

netfmt          (158) Cannot attach subsystem shared library, "/usr/lib/libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL.sl".
                Verify the existence and permissions of the library file.
Line 245 of "/etc/nettlgen.conf":
   "SS:264:LVMPROVIDER:12:u:libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL:HPUXLVMProvider_NetTL:cimplvm_format_nettl_msg::LVM"

myhost:/#  find / -name 'libHPUXLVMProvider_NetTL*'

myhost:/# 

With what package would that file have been distributed?  Maybe I need to install/re-install something.