1752801 Members
5598 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: network problem between XP and Win98 se

zgpan
Occasional Contributor

network problem between XP and Win98 se

A laptop (5495) with Win XP and a desktop (6640) with Win98 are connected by the cross-over cable. Created the home network in the Win XP laptop through the wizard and made a netsetup flopy disk for the win 98 desktop. Run the flopy in the desktop. The laptop can access the desktop (shared folders available under the "windows entire network" directory). But the desktop can not access the laptop. When click the "entire network" of the Win98, it shows "Unable to browse the network. The network is not accessible". Then try every method suggested in the "Network Troubleshooter" of Win98. But fails. The laptop can even use the internet through the desktop. But The laptop can not be found in the desktop. It is like an one-direction network. It is strange to me.
8 REPLIES 8
Lance Brown
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have Printer and File sharing enabled on the Win98 system?

Lance
zgpan_1
Occasional Contributor

Sure. Win98 has the shared files and folders enabled. The problem is that Win XP can see the Win98 desktop. But Win98 can not see Win XP laptop, although they can ping each other.
zgpan_1
Occasional Contributor

The problem appears at win98's "entire network". When I click the "entire network" of the Win98, it shows "Unable to browse the network. The network is not accessible". There are "clint for microsoft networking", TCP/IP and LAN adapter installed, in fact.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

On 98 Network Neighhood requires netbeui. XP does not support netbeui by default tho it can run it with some extra software.

See:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/help/faqs/29

for a workaround.

Ron
catherine_1

I think I went through the problems. If you had all the three things installed at your win98: Client for Microsoft Networks/File and Printer shareing for Microsoft and Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and setup the properties, try to ping the xp laptop by hostname or ip address. if you success in ping the computer, then from your Win98 computer, click Start/Find/Computer. enter the computer name of the laptop.
zgpan
Occasional Contributor

the win98 can ping win xp and win xp can ping win98. When I use the win xp name to search the laptop, the computer name is found. But it shows the location is unknown. The connection has no problem. Just in win98, the win xp can not be found in the entire network.
catherine_1

Do you set up the workgroup in the two computer? You should give them the same workgroup name. Set from control penal/System /computer name

Also, make sure you should have the Client for Microsoft networks installed in your xp computer and have some folders to be shared.

I have no problem If I find the xp computer name in my 98 computer and then click on the computer icon, my system starts to search and shows the shared folder in xp computer.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Failure to browse is a NETBIOS problem.

Without either a WINS server, or a Master Browser, 98 has no way to gather the NETBIOS information needed to be able to browse Nethood. 98 needs to have the NetBEUI protocol installed. NetBEUI is a VERY noisey protocol in that it does most of it's transmissions as broadcasts, but for your setup... it'll work fine.

But that's only half the problem. XP needs to be able to run NetBEUI in order to broadcast across and talk to 98.

If you have your XP install CD's, you can find the NetBEUI protocol for XP under the VALUEADD folder. See the article below for how to load it on XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda