4108 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: nfs unreadable

A.G.M. Velthof
Valued Contributor

nfs unreadable

Hello to all,

We have a SAP landscape on a MCSG cluster HPUX11.31 IA with a transport share on a MCSG NFS.

All nodes and some other (test)servers can see the /usr/sap/trans (NFS) but one.

I can see the mount with bdf (and how many MB and %) but a ll gives me "/usr/sap/trans unreadable.

I tried many things already following several forum topics, but nothing works so far.

Regards, Alfons Velthof

P.S. This thread has been movedfrom HP-UX>System Administration to HP-UX > networking. -HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>I tried many things already following several forum topics, but nothing works so far.

Like what?  Knowing what you tried and seeing the output from those attempts could help to troubleshoot further.

As it is, anything anyone suggest to start with may duplicate what you've already done.

Also, showing actual 'bdf' output and showing the commands you ran that resulted in the 'unreadable' error could be helpful.

Perhaps the output of 'll -d /usr/sap/trans' could be helpful as well.

A.G.M. Velthof
Valued Contributor

Hello Patrick,

"Like what?  Knowing what you tried and seeing the output from those attempts could help to troubleshoot further.

As it is, anything anyone suggest to start with may duplicate what you've already done."

We already did:

1. stopped and started the NFS Package (mcsg package)

2. stopped and started the NFS client

3. umount and mount the NFS filesystem

"Also, showing actual 'bdf' output and showing the commands you ran that resulted in the 'unreadable' error could be helpful."

Output of bdf:

naxsap06:/etc#bdf|grep trans

naxnfs:/export/usr/sap/trans

143360000 103466516 37400226   73% /usr/sap/trans

output of ll -d /usr/sap/trans:

naxsap06:/etc#ll -d /usr/sap/trans

drwxrwx--x  24 p11adm     sapsys        7168 Dec  9 15:57 /usr/sap/trans

Content of /etc/auto.direct:

naxsap06:/etc#more auto.direct

## Configured using SAM by root on Mon Aug 30 13:42:11 2010

## Configured using SAM by root on Mon Aug 30 13:42:27 2010

/usr/sap/trans          naxnfs:/export/usr/sap/trans

Content of auto_master:

naxsap06:/etc#more auto_master

## Configured using SAM by root on Sat Aug 28 17:25:10 2010

## Configured using SAM by root on Mon Aug 30 13:17:35 2010

/net -hosts -nosuid,soft,nobrowse

/- /etc/auto.direct

Output of ll /usr/sap/trans:

naxsap06:/etc#ll /usr/sap/trans

/usr/sap/trans unreadable

total 0

"Perhaps the output of 'll -d /usr/sap/trans' could be helpful as well."

If You need more information, please ask.

Best regards, Alfons Velthof

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What happens if you try doing the 'll /usr/sap/trans' as a different user?  Perhaps try logging in as the p11adm user since it owns the directory.

The issue may be that the nfs mount is not set up to allow root to do anything.  By default, this is the way it works.  

If you can work with the mount point as the p11adm user, then that will confirm the problem.

I am not sure how to set up the auto mounter to allow root to work with it.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

@Patrick Wallek wrote:

I am not sure how to set up the auto mounter to allow root to work with it.

AutoFS is a client-side program.  The decision to allow a root user on the NFS client to have root privs in a given NFS filesystem is a server-side decision based on the options used when the filesystem is shared/exported.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>AutoFS is a client-side program.  The decision to allow a root user...is a server-side decision

Of course it is.  I wasn't thinking clearly, apparently.

To allow root access, you will have to go to the system that file system is exported from and set your /etc/exports to allow root access on clients.