Networking
1752439 Members
5665 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: peer to peer networking question

coltabsh

peer to peer networking question

I am trying to connect 2 computers together at my office to share files like QuickBooks.

The computers are connected together with cat 5 crossover going into a linksys befw11s4 v4 router

They BOTH have Internet (cable modem) but cannot see each other
Computer1 can see computer2
Computer 2 cannot see computer 1

I did try to use the network setup wizard and named the work group Office and turned on file and print sharing

On computer 1 I click on computer 2 and a message pops up saying

Office is not assessable you might not have permission to use this network
Network path was not found

I have been on this for 3 day and can figure it out

Thanks for any help
8 REPLIES 8
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

I'm making the assumption that you're using windows XP?

If you are using the same account on both, and the accounts are NOT the Administrator account, you need to use gpedit.msc to give these accounts the ability to "Access this computer from the network".
Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment

The accounts should havee the same ID and password (for ease of use). Then, give the account full control to the share.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Also, regarding File and Print sharing. If you are using Windows Firewall, you have to allow "File and Print sharing" through.

Look under the Exceptions tab.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
coltabsh

both computers are using xp home and gpedit.msc wont work

sorry i didnt mention it

thanks
shane
Shijo
Frequent Advisor

Hi Coltabsh,

Idealy in this kind of a situation u should be able to see both the computers but there might be firewall settings blocking it. Disable any firewall that has been setup on both the computer which include windows firewall.

Also Can you please tell me the network setting on both the computers ie r they set for automatic Ip config. And also make sure that both the system have different names.

Regards,
Shijo
You are only limited by the boundaries that you yoursefl put up.
Shijo
Frequent Advisor

Hi Coltabsh,

Idealy in this kind of a situation u should be able to see both the computers but there might be firewall settings blocking it. Disable any firewall that has been setup on both the computer which include windows firewall.

Also Can you please tell me the network setting on both the computers ie r they set for automatic Ip config. And also make sure that both the system have different names.

Regards,
Shijo
You are only limited by the boundaries that you yoursefl put up.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Minor nit - generally speaking, a crossover cable is only used for "back to back" connections, eg joining two NICs or joining two switches. And then only if one or the other don't have support for AutoMDIX, which IIRC is part of 'standard' gigabit over copper (ie for gigabit you don't need a crossover cable, but it will work)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

get the free version of
http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
and install on both PCs
Phil
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

I would say that you DON'T want to do this while relying on the network cards that are both hooked up to the Internet via the cable modem (a router). One minor mistake with Microsoft's wizards in your configuration will have both computers and all their contents exposed to the Internet. This is especially true if you are using XP Home (I "might" do this if it were XP-Pro, but NEVER with Home.).

A better solution in this case might be to either use a dedicated set of NICs or a USB/USB datalink cable. Or, if you are set on using your existing connection and hardware, pick a protocol (like IPX/SPX) for the local network that is less likely to cross over the cable modem.