New Discussion юеВ

Re: ping timeout value.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Padma Asrani
Honored Contributor

ping timeout value.

Hi

I would like to understand -W option on Fedora Linux. What is the default value of -W. I was going through the man page.

-W timeout
Time to wait for a response, in seconds. The option affects only timeout in absense of any responses,
otherwise ping waits for two RTTs.

What is the values of two RTTS? If I ues -W 1000 would it mean it will wait for 1000 seconds for the response packet before declaring timeout.

Regards
Padma
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

>>> What is the values of two RTTS?

According to ping source code:

if (nreceived) {
/* approx. 2*tmax, in seconds (2 RTT) */
expire = tmax / (512*1024);
if (expire == 0)
expire = 1;
}

2 RTTs would be 2*tmax, being tmax the maximum RTT obtained from a ping sequence. You can see it at the end of a ping as:

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.040/0.042/0.044/0.002 ms, pipe 2

That would mean that the -W allows you to
specify how much time you will wait for a
response, in case that you have, for example,
missing packets.
After some echo reply, you will have your RTTs calculated,
if a response is not received, and you don't
specify -W, it will wait 2*tmax, otherwise,
will wait -W seconds.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Padma Asrani
Honored Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the response. What is the value of tmax
In my case it is returning

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.398/0.656/0.915/0.259 ms

How do i interpret this. I wanted to call ping from a c program and with -W. what would be reasonable default value in case user doesn't specify it.

Thanks
Padma
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> What is the value of tmax
>>> In my case it is returning

>>> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.398/0.656/0.915/0.259 ms

As you can see above, the max would be the third value, first is min, then average, then max.

>>> I wanted to call ping from a c program and with -W. what would be reasonable default value in case user doesn't specify it.

This depends of what you are trying to do, probably, you don't even need to specify a timeout value, but a count. Or probably, would be better if you use -w (lower).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Padma Asrani
Honored Contributor

Hi

Ok I got you, so if min is 0.398 mili seconds then I believe we use -W so -W 398

right?

Padma
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> Ok I got you, so if min is 0.398 mili seconds then I believe we use -W so -W 398

That would be correct, but remember that -W use max, not min. But, why do you want to specify this value?
Padma Asrani
Honored Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your response. We have a enterprise specific MIB file which I can do ping through snmp, now a user can specify this value, if this value is not specified then I have to start with some default value.

Regards
Padma