5527 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problem getting IE or Netscape to browse ftp site

K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

problem getting IE or Netscape to browse ftp site

All,
this ftp site does not support anonymous user; But it seems on an initial try, both browser tries to login via anonymous but failed and doesn't prompt for username/password. How do I configure the browsers to prompt for login name and password? Thanks.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
7 REPLIES 7
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Michael, I've had to deal with this issue several times. The setting is from within the IE5.x Internet Options
Right click on IE5 icon, properties, security, Custom Level. Scroll all the way down to the botton and select "automatic login only in intranet zone" (or whichever of the options you have there.)

This can be done for the Internet zone, or any zone from the security tab.

hth

Mark.
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Mark, this is occuring in IE6. Have you ever expr. this in IE6? Thanks.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Should still be VERY close in menu structure....

Tools/Internet Options then Security Tab, select or make sure Internet IS selected, then click on "Custom".

Scroll down towards the bottom to find "User Authentication". Select either "Prompt for User ID and Password" or "Automatic logon only in Intranet zone".

Mark pretty much covered it.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

I've tried what you guys suggested. One on IE5 and the other on IE6. Both are having the same problem. But all others e.g IE5 are able to access our ftp server. The two I mention can't even load the site. I've tried by name and by ip address. Both fail to load. DNS is resolving correctly and it's able to access the ftp server via dos. But for some reason it's puking on this particular IE5(running win2k) and IE6 (running xp). Just these two pc is giving me problem. So what gives?
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Michael,

Obviously if it works from DOS, there're no DNS or OS issues involved, and it's gotsa be that darned IE5/6 that're giving you the heartburn.

1) What exactly is the failure / error message you are seeing?
2) Do either of these w/s give the login option, can you select the "login as" option from the file menu?
3) When you access the site from DOS, does the connection switch to PASV to receive from the server, or is the transfer active?

Trying to get a better handle on the failure and thus where the solution may lie.

(I expect I'll see this problem myself soon, so there's a little bit of self interest here....)

Mark
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

attached is the error, this is on IE5 or IE6. Does any know why I am able to access my ftpserver from one pc and not another? See attachment for detail. Thanks.
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

All, I fixed the IE browser under win2k, but still having problem with IE under 98. The fix for IE under win2k is tools->options->advance->browsing and make sure to enable ftp browsing. However I can't find this under IE on win98. Does any one have any idea?