Operating System - OpenVMS
1747985 Members
4658 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "INSFMEM, insufficient dynamic memory" from TCP/IP 5.4eco6

Bruce J Baker

"INSFMEM, insufficient dynamic memory" from TCP/IP 5.4eco6

Alphaserver GS1280 running OpenVMS 7.3-2 and TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS 5.4eco6 does this...

$ tcpip add proxy DOUGLASM/remote_user=DOUGLASM/host="localhost"
%TCPIP-E-DYNPROXERR, cannot add record to proxy database (TCPIP$PROXY) in dynamic memory
-TCPIP-I-VMSUSER, OpenVMS user: DOUGLASM
-SYSTEM-F-INSFMEM, insufficient dynamic memory

The proxy is put into the permanent database, but not the volatile database. It won't show up there until either TCP/IP services is restarted, or the server is rebooted. I'm told the system is not short on Dynamic memory and this is actually a problem with TCP/IP services.

Is there any advice available on how to deal with this (other than the obvious VMS upgrade)?
Give a difficult job to a lazy man. He'll find an easier way.
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Perhaps a call to HP (there seems to be an ECO 7 scheduled for this quarter)?

regards Kalle
Bruce J Baker

Thanks Karl. That was the planned escalation. I just wanted to see if it was something with a well known answer before logging a support call with HP.
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Try to see if this is related to CTLPAGES with either

1) DCL for OpenVMS - Example C - How To Use SHOW PROCESS/MEMORY For Another Process
the Sda extension CTLPA

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/CY-1027624800-1.html

2) or
DCL for OpenVMS - How To Use SHOW PROCESS/MEMORY For Another Process

Just a little Dcl

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/CY-1021490401-1.html
Bruce J Baker

Perhaps we are trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be. Someone locally (Thanks Simon) suggested -
"Try:

$ tcpip set configuration communication/proxies=200

or something similar."

Looking at $ TCPIP HELP SET CONF COMM /PROX
in part it says -
"Optional. Default: Number of communication proxies plus 10, with a minimum of 20.

Specifies the maximum size of the proxy cache. If you plan to add
entries to the proxy database after you start the TCP/IP Services
software, set /PROXIES to a value higher than the default."

So the first part of that accounts for why a restart of TCP/IP sorts this out, until another batch of proxies are added.

The original problem probably occurred when an eleventh (and subsequent) additional proxy was added.

By doing $ TCPIP SHOW COMM the current maximum number of proxies can be seen. A reasonable increment on that, and a restart to pick up the new setting, may be all that is required (other than a note to self to check periodically that the maximum is still appropriate).

Or have I got it all wrong again :-)
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

try bumping up the tcpip account quotas,
like WSdef,WSquo,WSextent esp Pgflquo and restarting. you may have memory, but not
being used. that message ( SYSTEM-F-INSFMEM ) came up from the
system - Dean
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Dean

I do not see the relationship between
Wsdef, Wsquo, Wsextent, Pgflquota and an error message like
SYSTEM-F-INSFMEM, insufficient dynamic memory

I would look at CTLPAGES, may be PIOPAGES and some others.

This is not an "exceeded quota" error message.

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Just tested it. Note that the parameter only concerns C proxies.

On my AS500 (7.3 and tcp 5.3 eco 2) it gives the message when I add the 24th proxy. This while there were 3 proxies present. So, if you increase the param, it will be solved (and restart tcp of course).

Note that you can not see the actual value that was used at startup, t.i. someone could have added C proxies before you did and thus have taken some of the 10 spares.

Wim
Wim
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If issuing the cited command avoided the issue, I'd (still) log a problem report with HP support as there's (still) a problem with the diagnostic message.

SS$_INSFMEM isn't an error message that would point to a configuration error curable with the $ TCPIP SET CONFIGURATION COMMUNICATIONS /PROXY command.

Either changing that, or adding a "use SET CONFIG-yada to fix this" message to the signal array. (Or, best case, triggering the underlying expansion mechanism for you, and expanding the storage automatically.)

IMO, of course.