New Discussion юеВ

Re: "source quench received" ERROR

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenneth Yap
Frequent Advisor

"source quench received" ERROR

Dear Expert,
I have one D380 server, using internal 10base-t network port connect to the 3com 10/100 switch. I have another one Netserver LH2 using 10/100 base-t network card and connect to that switch. When I do a ping from Netserver to the D380 server using dos prompt. I get this message "replay from 201.1.1.1 : Source quench received"
When I ping from D380 server to the Netserver do have this messages.
What are the error that causes this problem ?
The internal 10base-T network card causes or needed to configure any kernel parameter ?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

manoj_pu
Regular Advisor

Hello

You have to set ip_send_source_quench:
parameter to 0 non default value

#/usr/bin/ndd -set /dev/ip ip_send_source_quench 0

Rgds

Manoj

Description

Set to 1 to allow IP send ICMP "Source Quench" packets when
it encounters upstream flow control; set to 0 to disable.
[0,1] Default:1 (enable)

HP-UX 11 sends ICMP source quench messages all too frequently for a
message that has nearly zero real value. For that reason, one probably
should always set this to a value of zero. Sadly, this value appears
to remain defaulted to 1 even in 11i.

Leave with out tense and try best you gets result
Animesh Chakraborty
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Document #S3100005739 states, in part:

PROBLEM: Upon pinging an 11.0 system, I am seeing a packet loss and Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) source quench messages.

RESOLUTION

ICMP source quench messages are generated when an IP packet is received by the 11.0 system that can't be delivered to the socket buffer of the receiving application. The intent is to inform the sender of the full buffer condition so the rate of the transmission
is slowed down until the buffer can be read by the receiving application.

Setting the ndd parameter ip_send_source_quench to 0 can be an effective way to deal with the messages. Programs that use icmp protocol, such as ping, use a type of
socket called SOCK_RAW. The nature of using raw IP sockets is that ALL packets received that match the protocol type of the raw socket are delivered to ALL the sockets using that protocol. It is up to the application to read all the data in it's socket buffer and discard the data it's not interested in. If any of these sockets are full, the icmp source quench message will be generated.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x18c779bffde7d4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Did you take a backup?