Operating System - HP-UX
1752742 Members
5252 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rc2574, ftp return code = 27150, error code = 00010.

Duwane
Occasional Advisor

rc2574, ftp return code = 27150, error code = 00010.

Hello,
Can anyone explain to me why I am getting the above error message. We run a batch job on a Mainframe which basically Transfers a 188MB file via FTP to an FTP server. The file gets to the FTP server without any damage but at the end of the job we get rc2574, ftp return code = 27150, error code = 00010.

Small files when FTPed to the server finish with a normal successful message but big files finish with the above error code.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

not sure, but here's something similar:

[Expired Broken link removed on <4/19/2017> by Mod]

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

The most reliable intepretation of ftp events is provided by the ftp daemon as each command is executed. These replies are 3-digit numbers. The first digit of the message indicates whether the reply is good, bad, or incomplete. The second digit indicates the functional area that the message addresses, and the third digit offers additional clarification of the second's. Have a look at the man pages for 'ftpd'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Duwane
Occasional Advisor

This process is going through Routers and a Checkpoint firewall. Would that make any difference? Would MTU size matter?

Small files like 88MB or less end with no error messages for the Mainframe job but files with bigger sizes like, 188MB or more end with the rc2574, ftp return code = 27150, error code = 00010.

Any thoughts??

Thanks.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

MTU is not causing your problem. You would start seeing problems with loss of data with files as small as 1500 bytes if that were the case.

I expect that your ftp server is running into trouble trying to process or save all of the info and may perhaps drop a few packets from its input buffer or just not pick them up from tcp/ip. You might monitor netstat -s before and after such a transfer and see if you see any clues. Could also be that since you say the files do go through that the FTP times out waiting for the final ack while the disk is still trying to save the data.
I'm not up on the internal workings but I expect there is some final check that you have all of the data and that it is safely stored- maybe a checksum or something - and the larger the file the longer it would take to make sure we had it all.

You can raise the size of the ftp buffer marginally from 56K to 64K and that might be enough to help. See man ftpd

You could also play with the flow control parameters in NDD and see if that helped. Anything which slowed down the transfer and gave the hard drive time to catch up might help. Maybe even lowering the ftp buffer.

Ron
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Here's a thread with a couple suggestions that Nancy Rippey offered...(sadly no response by the person to say if they worked..)
But they are something to check out:

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x58a0d5fab40ed6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.htmlHTH
Rita

...take note this is on the bizforms Forums..so make sure you get back to ITRC Forums for HPUX when you finish.

Duwane
Occasional Advisor

Ron, I like your response. Can you tell me what is man ftpd and how to use it. I did use the netstat -s it gives me total tcp packets etc. Nothing to do with the FTP stats. How can I reset those and start fresh to monitor accurately?

Let me know.

thanks.
Duwane
Occasional Advisor

Rita, I appreciate your response. I had already looked at that. Can you tell me what the FTP return code = 27150, error code = 00010 means. If I only could find out what those error codes mean, I can probably get to the problem. I tried searching all FTP error sites on the web but no success. Any sites you suggest??

Thanks.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I had nothing better to do .. went searching and hit blank walls everywhere.
Finally did a google (OK...sorry, but nothing else was hitting) and the absolute only thing I found was a reference to ftp with linux and a bug 27150.
Don't know if it applies here...but here's the url:

http://www.vinelinux.org/RDF/VineSeed/i386/anacron-2.3-15.i386.rdf
Rita

Duwane
Occasional Advisor

Rita, thanks so much but that did not help either. See, it is a mainframe batch job which run and upload data to an ftp server. See if you know someone with MainFrame experiece who runs data transfer jobs using FTP. the big file gets there intact and is also usable but don't know why it is giving this message. by the way, the ftp file transfer is going through a firewall and also through routers. In other words data is being transported through the routers and into the firewall to the FTP server.

Any thoughts...