cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rcmd: Lost connection

John Hegedus
Occasional Advisor

rcmd: Lost connection

When I try to connect to other servers through remsh from Machine A to either B or C I have no problem. When I try to remsh from Machine B or C or even itself (A) I get the error rcmd: Lost connection???? I checked the .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv and everything seems fine??? Where do I go from here??
5 REPLIES
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: rcmd: Lost connection

You are confusing the ability to run the remsh client with the ability to act as a remsh server. I'll assume that firewalls are not in play as that could be another "gotcha". First, examine /etc/inetd.conf and make sure that the "shell" entry is not commented out and does contain remshd (the remsh deamon) as the executable.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
John Hegedus
Occasional Advisor

Re: rcmd: Lost connection

Inetd.conf checked out? I compared the files on the other servers that work and everything is the same?? The onll difference is that this particular machine is an NFS server
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: rcmd: Lost connection

Ok, next step. On 'A' execute "inetd -l" to start logging connection attempts. Now do something like "remsh serverA ls -l /etc" on serverB and then examine the log entries on A to see if the requests are making it to A.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
John Hegedus
Occasional Advisor

Re: rcmd: Lost connection

i ran remsh from itself and also the other boxes immediately followed by an ls command and it works just fine
TheJuiceman
Super Advisor

Re: rcmd: Lost connection

I had a similar problem.  I could rlogin, rsh, etc from ServerA into ServerB without a problem.  However, going from ServerB to ServerA would not work (I got the familar "rcmd: Lost connection" error).  I checked all of the following on both servers to make sure the entries were correct:

 

/etc/hosts.equiv

/etc/hosts.allow

/etc/hosts.deny (just to be sure)

/root/.rhosts

/var/adm/inetd.sec

/etc/inetd.conf

 

I even checked to be sure that the server was resolving by the correct domain name.  No problem there.  Could not find the problem.

 

I  tried "inetd -c" multiple times along the way, but that did not help either.

 

Finally, ran "inetd -k" and then restarted inetd.  That worked!!!!

 

Don't know why inetd had to be killed and restarted, but that brought success.