108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remote downlevel document

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michelle_34
Occasional Contributor

remote downlevel document

I've read all the postings I could find on this subject, but still have been unable to resolve this issue here on our end. I've got about 55 Win98 workstations, and our servers are Win NT4 with all the latest patches. When a user prints to our Xerox 460 or Xerox 470 printers (our main network printers)a "remote downlevel document" will appear in the print queue on the server, but will then switch to the file name of the print job. The problem it that when this happens it will hold up all other jobs at the printer for a few minutes until this job finally prints.
We are running Norton Antivirus v7.5 on the servers and all workstations, and no viruses have been detected. I've also run the Stinger virus software on all machines and servers, and again nothing has been found.
All workstations run the virus scan every night and are on schedule with the latest virus updates. H.E.L.P....I'm running out of options - I've tried everything.
I've spoken to the technicians at Xerox as well and they are unaware of what this "remote downlevel document" refers to.
Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Guy Dow
Solution

Michelle, I'm having the same problem with the same Xerox printer/copier. I was able to eliminate the problem by going to a command prompt and doing a net use. My LPT1 port was directed toward the printer that was exhibiting the problem. When I did a net use /d LPT1, the problem went away. However, we still direct plot files and dir lists to our LPT ports, so this isn't the perfect answer to the problem. The frustration for me is that I can't find what the correlation is between the LPT port and the UNC. I did notice that the IP address ends with a ":lp". Any idea why that has to be that way?

Good luck.
Michelle_34
Occasional Contributor

I don't know why it ends in -lp, but I'll try and find out more information for tomorrow and I'll post whatever information I can find...it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out why this has happened and the correct way to fix it. Was it a virus? A Norton problem? Win NT patch upgrade conflict? It's crazy.

All suggestions are appreciated.
Michelle_34
Occasional Contributor

The above suggestion didn't help...we're still having the problem. Any other suggestions anyone?