108788 Solutions
New Discussion

route issue, (unable to login)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: route issue, (unable to login)

Did you also fix the route specification in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf?

Any settings you make with the "route" command won't be persistent over a system reboot: if you don't fix your netconf file, the configuration error will come back at next reboot.

Based on the "netstat -rnv" output from the good blade, this is how the netconf route specification should be:

ROUTE_DESTINATION[1]="net 10.100.0.0"   # note: "net" keyword added
ROUTE_MASK[1]="255.255.0.0"                  # note: netmask added
ROUTE_GATEWAY[1]="10.1.20.100"
ROUTE_COUNT[1]="1"                               # note: the count value is needed for routes to remote networks
ROUTE_ARGS[1]=""
ROUTE_SOURCE[1]=""
ROUTE_SKIP[1]=""

This route specification looks bad too:

ROUTE_DESTINATION[2]="10.1.20.0"
ROUTE_MASK[2]=""
ROUTE_GATEWAY[2]="10.1.20.32"
ROUTE_COUNT[2]=""
ROUTE_ARGS[2]=""
ROUTE_SOURCE[2]=""
ROUTE_SKIP[2]=""

If is missing the net/host keyword and the ROUTE_COUNT value, and if it is supposed to be a network route, the ROUTE_MASK is missing too.

Also, the ROUTE_GATEWAY IP address seems to be the blade's own IP address: this route should be automatically generated if the SUBNET_MASK parameter in the ifconfig settings is correct.

So I don't see why this route entry should be configured at all!

Another thing I'm wondering about: your "bad" blade has this route entry, and the "good" blade does not have anything equivalent:

10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0          10.1.20.32         U     0    lan1       1500

If this is the auto-generated route for the network segment your lan1 is plugged into, then I think there may be a missing or incorrect SUBNET_MASK setting in your /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file.

Based on the configurations you've posted so far, I think the interface settings for lan1 in the netconf file should be like this:

INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan1
IP_ADDRESS[0]=10.1.20.32
SUBNET_MASK[0]=255.255.255.0   # <-- Please check this one carefully.
BROADCAST_ADDRESS[0]=10.1.20.255  # <-- if SUBNET_MASK was wrong, this may be wrong too.
INTERFACE_STATE[0]=up
DHCP_ENABLE[0]=0

MK
NDO
Super Advisor

Hi !

yes I did update on /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file, and I have also deleted the 10.0.0.0 entry in the routing table, what I am not sure now is if the current netmask on the ip address (10.1.20.32) is indeed:

#netstat -nrv
Routing tables
Dest/Netmask                    Gateway            Flags Refs Interface  Pmtu
127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255       127.0.0.1          UH    0    lo0       32808
10.1.20.32/255.255.255.255      10.1.20.32         UH    0    lan1      32808

or:

INTERFACE_NAME[2]="lan1"
IP_ADDRESS[2]="10.1.20.32"
SUBNET_MASK[2]="255.255.255.0"
BROADCAST_ADDRESS[2]=""
INTERFACE_STATE[2]="up"
DHCP_ENABLE[2]="0"
INTERFACE_MODULES[2]=""

So I have used an IPcalculator/IP subnetting tool found in the internet that is telling me that its the latter one. So I dont know if I should delete that entry in the routing table and reboot the server, just to check if comes up with all entries ok.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

For each network interface (including loopback and IP aliases), there should be a minimum of 2 lines in HP-UX routing table:

• a line with the interface's own IP address in both the destination & gateway fields, netmask 255.255.255.255 and a high MTU value. This indicates the server can "talk to itself" without MTU restrictions, as the traffic is simply looped back in the protocol stack without using the physical network interface at all. This line should have "UH" in the Flags field.
  • a line with a network address and netmask matching the IP segment the interface is connected to, with the interface's own IP in the gateway field. This indicates a network segment that is directly accessible, with the proper MTU value. This line should have "U" in the Flags field.

These two are automatically generated standard entries and they should not normally be deleted.

Additionally, there should usually be only one default gateway entry, even if the server has multiple network interfaces.

If the server has no Internet access and the network is very simple, there might be no default gateway entry at all.

Two or more default gateway entries may be required in some special situations, but it is much more probably a mistake.

Any other lines in the routing table are custom and completely depend on the network the server is in.

MK