1748183 Members
3710 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: setting up XP to network into existing home 98 network

Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

setting up XP to network into existing home 98 network

I have a home network of computers that use Windows 98 and works. I have just bought a new Presario with XP and am not able to get it to talk to the other computers on the network. It does, however, communicate tothe internet through the router quite well.
20 REPLIES 20
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi Andre
Check if all of them have similar TCP/IP addresses. A similar address is when they match the numbers where the network mask is 255, for example 169.154.x.x when the network mask is 255.255.0.0
If not, aply fixed IP address for all of them with same network mask, for examplo, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and so on whith network mask 255.255.255.0.
Make also sure that they all belong to the same workgroup.
Please note that XP should be able to gain access to any of the shared resources of 98, but the opposite is not true, unless you open an user on XP with the same login name & password of the 98's user.
Keep us updated
Good luck
Jorge
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Do the following :

Confirm the Workgroup name is the same on both PCs = Control Panel / System / Computer Name.............

Confirm and install the same login account and password on both PCs.

Confirm the Windows Firewall is turned off on the XP PC............

Right click on both PC's C:\ drive in "My Computer" and select "Sharing and Security" to enable sharing.

Restart the PC.........

Windows XP only =
Go to the Control Panel / Network Connections, then run the "Network Setup Wizard"... During the Wizard install, keep the Workgroup name the same on both PCs.

Shutdown and restart each PC, wait ten minutes after each login. Then try it...

Happy Holidays,
Jim
Harald_8
Occasional Advisor

Perhaps u dont use Password with your users?
with a standard Konfiguration XP only allow Communication with a password set for the user that wants to connect.
This user must exist on all the Workstations with the same name and password.
Harald Haitsma
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

if this is a fairly recent XP, it probably as XPSP2, which sets the firewall on by default. make sure you disable this if your connected to a secured home network.

if you can get to the internet, they it's probably talking fine to your router/Cable modem/etc... which makes me suspect the firewall that much more
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to every body that has tried to Help me , but the problem remains ! I have implemented several of the suggestions, all the time re-booting afterwards to make sure that they take effect, but to no avail.
-The workgoup is the same on the various computers (the XP was not initially).
-The Windows Firewall was on but has been turned OFF
-Yes, the Compaq came with XP Service Pack 2
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

ipconfig is your friend, now.

go to a dos prompt on each machine and run ipconfig to get the ip addresses of each machine, then ping all the other machines.

somewhere in here you'll find that one machine can't ping anyting, or one machine can ping everyone, but noone can ping it.

from there we can look at the configurations of the non-pinging machine and work on why it's now working.

alternatively, if everything pings: then we need to get some other tools like browser monitor and figure why browsing is eating your lunch, as it often does.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

I would like to check the IP addresses on the Windows 98 systems to compare with the XP addresses, but do not know where to access them on Windows 98. I do have them for the XP system and they appear to match those of the DLink router
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

DOH! my mistake, Win9x uses IPWINCFG, not IPCONFIG. stupid me.

everthing else still holds though.
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

ok, that's 2 in a row. win9x = WinIPCFG!

not ipwincfg or anything else.

once again: me = moron and win9x = WinIPCFG!