1752794 Members
6741 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: setting up XP to network into existing home 98 network

Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

Imagine how bright I feel, the whole family is watching me !
Latest !
I can ping using the IPCONFIG ! I can ping everyone except the XP, which comes up unknown and one of the Windows 98 system whose name has a space in it, but otherwise works very well.
The XP can't ping anyone and has hung several times when trying to use "View Workgroup computers"
Also...the DLink router CANNOT ping the XP !but can ping the other computers.
Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

Harald, maybe you can explain this password business a bit further. There are 2 account on the XP - Administrator and Guest.
Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

Progress !!
First, a little more info on the configuration of the network. The DLink router is connected to the highspeed cable internet service. Connected to the DLink are wireless portable as well as computers by cable and (1) DLink switch and more computers directly wired into the switch (my son's gaming activity) We have removed the XP system from being directly wired into the DLink router and wired it into the DLink Switch. We can now partially ping it, but it times out in IPCONFIG. The other computers can also see it int their Network Neighborhoods BUT cannot access it. The XP continues to be blind to ALL.
Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

For those who are interested, IPCONFIG appears to have a bug in that it does not allow a space in the computer name whereas the other polling programs seem to. removing the space by renaming the computer solved this particular problem.
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

spaces are bad for browsing.

check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q145949/

this doesn't talk about XP, but it's old, so....
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Just reading your responses =

Please create the same login name and password account in WinXP that you use in Windows 98. Control Panel / User Names....
Actually all the computers should have the same login account installed on them.

This is extremely important and required to realize your networking. This is probably what is holding you up.

Computer names have to be one word -- do not use more that one word.

Open a Command Prompt window on either PC and do the following command =
ping {name of the either computer}

Is the display showing any response?

On the XP PC open a Command Prompt window type in =
ipconfig /all

What are the IP addresses being displayed?

On the Win98 PC, create a shortcut to the Winipcfg tool in Windows 98. Or
Open MY COMPUTER icon and do a search
for "winipcfg.exe" file, then double click...

What are the IP Addresses?

Remember setting up a network with different Windows software can be very difficult?

Jim
Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Jim.
First, where do you find the MS DOS command prompt on XP ? I was able to get to it through a link in "Help" but still do not know where it is.
The XP's IP addresses appear to be quite correct. The XP's IP address is congruent to the rest of the network, that is , it fits in between d2 of the other computers. It is .107 and there is a .106 and a .108, which both work fine. The other computers can ping and see each other BUT cannot see the XP. And the XP doesn't see anyone but itself.
Andre Gareau
Occasional Advisor

Can someone tell me how on earth one assigns points to the replies ???
Also the problem has been fixed. The problem centered around the Norton Security package that came with the computer. It has a "Firewall" that has to be disabled "completely". Once done, the system works well. Thanks to all who helped me !
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Command Prompt window =
Go to Start / Program Files / Accessories
You should see it there.

Be sure to create the same login account on each PC.

Shut down all Windows 98 PCs.

Run the "Network Setup Wizard" in the "Network Connections" icon of the Control Panel.
Use the same Workgroup Name for all PCs.

Shutdown the XP PC.
Turn on the XP PC.

Turn on the Win98 PCs, wait 10 minutes.

Check........

You should realize the URL link to assign points.........

Getting Closer,
Jim
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

points: set the drop menu next to the post, repeat until you run out of posts, the click the "assign points" button at the bottom of the page
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.