New Discussion

sftp protocol Version 4

SOLVED
Go to solution
vandevoort
Valued Contributor

sftp protocol Version 4

Hi do not know if this exsist ,

but for Oracle  we need sftp Verion 4  on our HP-UX 11.31 .

how can I check which sftp version I got

and if so how / where can I get an update  ?

HP-UX_11i_v2_T1471AA_A.05.90.002_HP-UX_B.11.23_IA_PA ??

kind regards

Wim van de Voort

9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: sftp Version 4

What 'sftp' version are you taling about?  There are SSH protocols version 1 & 2.  There is no protocol version 4 that I am aware of.

If you are taling about the SSH package itself then the latest version of the Secure Shell package from HP is A.05.90.

HP Secure Shell software is available from:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=T1471AA

vandevoort
Valued Contributor

Hi , sorry I was a bit confusing ,

what I mend was SFTP protocol version 4 .

How  can I check which Protocol Version supports  SFTP, we need  protocol verion 4 ?

Kind regards

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

vandevoort
Valued Contributor

Hi Steven .

Thanks for the link.

I try to understand the story but I cannot.

Is there a Version 4 protocol or not ?

And if so do our OpenSSh supports protocol 4?

Which is available at software.hp.com.

Kind regards

Wim van de Voort

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The protocol specification for sftp protocol version 4 exists, but it has not yet been implemented in OpenSSH. And as HP Secure Shell at software.hp.com (HP product T1471AA) is based on OpenSSH, it does not have support for sftp v4 either.

The question is, do you need a SFTP v4 client, a SFTP v4 server, or both?

(Do you need the capability to initiate SFTP connections, or to act as a server for some other SFTP client software? Or both?)

According to this link posted by Steven, there are some options for both, but you may have to compile it from source code and/or do some (hopefully minor) porting:

http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/sftp/sftpimpls.html

• LFTP might be an OK command-line SFTP v4 client. Since it's command-line, it should not have too much dependencies and should be very scriptable if you need to automate it.
  • On the server side, ProFTPD + mod_sftp might be an acceptable server package, and the basic ProFTPD is available as a pre-built binary from the Porting Archive, so you might only need to compile the mod_sftp module: http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Networking/FTP/proftpd-1.3.4a/
  • The Green End SFTP server is apparently designed as a drop-in replacement for the OpenSSH sftp-server binary, so it might be easy to replace the standard /opt/ssh/libexec/sftp-server binary of the HP SSH package with it. But it looks like it might not be exactly production quality...
MK
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

This might be more simply addressed by giving the exact requirement from Oracle that says you need SFTP version 4.  I have and do support a lot Oracle running on HP-UX and have never ran into this requirement. What is it your looking at? Do you have a link or application document that you are looking at?

vandevoort
Valued Contributor

We need SFTP Server v4. The client is Oracle Fusion Middleware which is already running on 4.

Please let us know whether it is feasible or not.... as it is a strict requirement.

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Hi Wim,

I do understand that its a requirement, but can you connect us to the stated requirement?  Give a link to the document your reading the requirement in. If they distribute their product for HP-UX installation, then I'm sure there is an acceptable solution for their requirements. But without being able to see the requirements we're all just shooting in the dark on what the solution is.

vandevoort
Valued Contributor
Solution

Thanks KEn .
I asked The DBA already , but untill now no response from them .
will update when received .
regards
Wim