cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow network connection

Martin Scheyhing
Occasional Visitor

slow network connection

I have a Pavilion a430n (XP home edition) with a NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller that I am trying to connect to a D-Link router (DI-713P). I am getting an IP address from the router's DHCP server, but I can't get a decent response time to access - say - the router's admin page (nor any other computers on the network). There IS a response though (sometimes I can even see parts of the router's admin screen but then it "get's stuck"). After a couple of minutes the local area connection status shows that there are ~100+ packets sent, but only 2-4 (differs from time to time) were received. A ping to the router's IP address results in a couple of timeouts and sometimes a reply with a response time of 1ms.

I tried installing the newest NVIDIA driver from the HP support page, but that seems to be only for the video. I also deleted and reinstalled the nForce networking via device manager - no avail.

Other computers connect to this router just fine. I also tried different ports of the router and different cables.

HP support suggested a destructive reinstall, which I am trying to avoid since it took me 3 weeks to get the system installed so far (I installed all XP and driver updates from Microsoft - through dial-up!!).

Any ideas? Thanks!!
6 REPLIES
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: slow network connection

Hi Martin,
may be
1) Autonegotiation; set NIC card on PC fix to 100Mbs; try full duplex and half duplex
2) The cable form PC to router; try with another cable and try with PC near router (close 1/2 m)
3) After of this you can buy an autoconnect cable to try send and receive. You have a friend with plug you can prepare autoconnect cable connecting pin 1-3 and 2-6.

Cheers
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Martin Scheyhing
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions, Antonio!

I tried the speed settings (fixed 100Mb full/half, as well as negotiate for 100Mb full/half) - with no success.

And I had already tried different cables (although I didn't have one as short as 0.5m yet).

I will try to find or build that special cable as you described. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks,
- Martin
Martin Scheyhing
Occasional Visitor

Hi Antonio,

I tried to find/buy an "auto connect" cable, but and earned just puzzled looks.
Then I researched the pin connections you mentioned and realized that you were describing a "cross-over cable".

So I tried such a cable (with pins 1-3 and 2-6 crossed, but that didn't even turn on my link light, let alone give me a connection.

Thanks again for your suggestions, but it looks like I am back to square 1...

Next thing I'll try is a new router.

Anyone any other ideas??

Thanks,
- Martin
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Martin,
just for knowledge, pin out of RJ45 port on your NIC is (dots are spaces):
/=================\
| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 |
\=====\...../=====/
.......=====
Where
1) RX Gnd
2) RXD
3) TX Gnd
4) Reserved for phone
5) Reserved for phone
6) TXD
7) Reserved
8) Reserved

The crossover cable must be (dots are still spaces):
../---\
/=|===|===========\
| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 |
\===|=\.....|=====/
....|..=====|
....|.......|
....\-------/

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

hmm,
bad image. Martin look at attachment
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Ok Martin,
now you have a cross over cable. Connect this cable to NIC. Be sure NIC on PC is full duplex; you cannot access to network because cable close connection PC to itself. After connection you could see only your local PC. Look at connection status: have you same packet send and received?
If send and received packets are similar your NIC on PC works fine.
Because you connected this PC to other router ports and other PCs have no any problem, I guess router works fine.
I guess your trouble is in network driver or in NIC or in cable form PC to router.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti