Networking
1753672 Members
6025 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

slow transfers on HP pavilion using HP card and Intel Anypoint adaptor

Tom Schuessler

slow transfers on HP pavilion using HP card and Intel Anypoint adaptor

I recently took instalation of ATT Broadband high speed data service for Internet access. I at first complained to ATT about what appeared to be slow internet access. I have come to the conclusion that it is not them, it is something about the instalation on the HP pavilion 8766c. Installed is a standard HP EN1207D-TX network adaptor ann an Intel Anypoint USB phoneline Network Adaptor which is the input for the ATT broadband service as delivered from their interface box.

despite that I should be able to get 40 to 50KBytes per second incoming from the Anypoint card. I get only about 6 or 7 KBytes/sec on the local box. Now this would be most likely the Anypoint adaptorc which I have switched out with a replacement, but here are some interesting quirks. I have set up a proxy server on this HP machine to share internet access to an older Win 95 machine in the other room. Even though I get only 6 or 7 KBytes/sec on the HP/host machine. I get the 40 or 50KBytes/second on the other machine. I also discovered that I see the same kind of response if I just transfer files via TCP/IP from one machine to the other. From the HP to the Win 95 box, I get normal rate high speed transferrs but if I transfer from the 95 to the HP/ME machine I get the same 6 - 7 KBytes/Sec. I have removed and reinstalled TCP/IP protocols, I have disabled either of the network cards and still have the same types of responses. I am confused as to where to go from here.

Tom Schuessler
2 REPLIES 2
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: slow transfers on HP pavilion using HP card and Intel Anypoint adaptor

Tom:

I'm not familiar with the Anypoint adapter. Could you enlighten me. The HP card you refer to and the Anypoint adapter (I believe) perform the same function (connecting the computer to Ethernet). But it sounds like they're both installed on the same computer? I assume that there is a DSL modem or router somewhere. Can you describe how things are hooked up.

Typically, these kinds of installations are set up as follows:
Each PC has either a PCI card (the HP card) or a USB adapter (Anypoint) to facilitate connecting an RJ45 Ethernet cable either to a router which is connected to the DSL telephone line or to a hub/switching hub, one port of which goes to a DSL modem connected to the DSL telephone line. Which of those scenarios pertain to you (or does a third scenario describe your installation?).

I hope this makes sense to you. I'm just confused about your installation so I can't properly answer your question.
Make a great day!

Roger
Tom Schuessler

Re: slow transfers on HP pavilion using HP card and Intel Anypoint adaptor