108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

win2k3 dhcp server dynamic updates for linux clients, plz help asap

Maaz
Valued Contributor

win2k3 dhcp server dynamic updates for linux clients, plz help asap

Hello Experts

DNS and DHCP server's OS: win2k3 server
dhcp client OS: winxp, 2k pro, redhat linux 9.

test.com domain.
I have enabled/configured dynamic update for the test.com (nonsecure and secure).

Admin Tools -> DHCP->Right Click on servername.test.com->properties->DNS TAB-> [i select]Alway Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records.

Similiarly I right click on scope->Properties->DNS TAB->[i select]Alway Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records.
SCOPE OPTIONS, provide right dns name, and dns servers ip to client.

All xp, win2k clients A and PTR records are dynamically/automatically update in DNS, but all linux(redhat 9) dhcp clients records are not dynamically/automatically update

what should i do on dhcp server so that linux clients A and PTR records are also register DYNAMICALLY/automtatically
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: win2k3 dhcp server dynamic updates for linux clients, plz help asap

Try setting the DHCP hostname on the linux client. Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX, add the following line:

DHCP_HOSTNAME="hostname.mydomain.com"

Where hostname.mydomain.com is the FQDN for the host (the real hostname + windows domain).

If you don't configure this, the hostname used by a dhcp client will be localhost, and localhost cannot be added to the DNS server.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
kevin leong
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ivan ,
I also facing a same problem , but currently cant get hostname of dhcp server .Possible to put DHCP server IP ?

My OS is Redhat WS 3.0 update3 .

Thanks
LeongKO
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hello!

May be this thread will be useful.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_21040533.html
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin. I did not understood your question.

"Cant get hostname of dhcp server .Possible to put DHCP server IP"

The DHCP_HOSTNAME value, is the name of the client computer that will be sent to the DHCP server to update the DNS server. Is not the name or address of the DHCP server.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
kevin leong
Frequent Advisor

HI Ivan ,
My linux client still can not get IP from DHCP Server (Win2003) .After setting as below

####ifcfg-eth0#####
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=synclient1.localdomain

Please help ....
Thanks
Kevin

Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you cannot obtain an IP address, is another problem.

What happens if you run the following command on the linux client, i would like to see the output?:

dhclient eth0

If you set a static IP on the client, can you ping the dhcp server?

Verify that the client has no firewall configured, during installation of linux, you can have enabled the firewall, to disable it, run:

service iptables stop
chkconfig iptables off

Then run the:

service network restart command again.