Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Networking
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wu-ftpd Can't get guest privileges

kwad
Occasional Advisor

wu-ftpd Can't get guest privileges

Hi Guys,

Strange one.. I have set up an ftp server on hp-ux 11iv3 using wuftpd.. the default ftp server.i set up my ftpaccess file to treat all users as guest.Then rebooted the machine.

Now when a user tries to log in it gives and error :

550 Can't set guest privileges.

Has anyone come across this.
It was working fine before the reboot.

Help!
5 REPLIES
Manix
Honored Contributor

Re: wu-ftpd Can't get guest privileges

.wuftpd .looks like a third party tool.

Are you able to login using username /passwd
& the anonymous logins are failing.

read this to know the error description .
http://support.ipswitch.com/kb/WS-19990630-DM01.htm
HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra
kwad
Occasional Advisor

Thanx for the response.I have just figured out what it is.I am running 2 virtual servers.I changed their ip address, but forgot to change the ip address in the ftpserver file.The ftpserver tells the ftp service where to look for config file for a particular virtual server.

Thanx :)
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Within the file /etc /ftpd/ftpaccess have a default group name for users, "guests. " This group name must be exist into /etc/group file, so you must add users at this group entry.

OS has a maximum limit of acceptance of users per group, man group (4) at Warning Section advise this:
The length of each line in /etc/group is limited to LINE_MAX, as defined in . Because of this limit, users should not be listed in their primary group - only in their additional groups.

Rgds.
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi Manix,

WDFTP was originally developed by the University of Washington (for this reason WU), its success was to be adopted as a value added to some flavors of UNIX operating systems, including HP-UX.

Rgds
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Ooops, WUFTP I meant! In fact, the HP implementation of the FTP daemon for HP-UX 11i core networking is based on the WU-FTPD daemon. :)