8689 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

xntp and dce

Thorsten Rehahn
Occasional Contributor

xntp and dce

Hello~

we have a problem with our Timeserver. After a reboot of the system it seems that any UNIX Client can not get the right time from the server. Clients running Windows NT can get the time from the server.

When I do a ps -ef | grep ntp on mlphp5 I see:

mlphp5:/root/home/roottr# ps -ef | grep ntp
root 6134 1 0 Oct 5 ? 4:06 /opt/dce/sbin/dts_ntp_provider -h mlphp5 -p 600 -i 30
root 16339 14266 1 11:12:45 ttyp1 0:00 grep ntp

where mlphp5 is the name of the server.
When I start xntpd it does not get any better. The clients are still not able to get the time.

Please help!!

Thorsten Rehahn
mailto: thorsten.rehahn@mlp-ag.com
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: xntp and dce

Hi:

It's normal for it to take some time (no pun intended) for an xntpd client to synchronize its time to the server. I assume that, within an hour or so at most, times are synchronized.

...JRF...
Lasse Knudsen
Esteemed Contributor

I have never heard of 'dts_ntp_provider' so I would track down where it is started from and disabled it.

I think it is occupying the xntpd port and that is why it is not getting any better. Try at first to kill it and then start xntpd - and allow 10-15 minutes for it to stabilize (watch /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log)
In a world without fences - who needs Gates ?
Ian_4
Honored Contributor

It might take several minutes to have the Unix clients synchronized. What will the output of ntpq ?p Are the Unix clients synchronized after like 10 min ?
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Hi!
After you've done what Allan told you, run the command "ntpq -c rv" and check the output of the parameter 'reftime'.
If it gives you something like "reftime=00000000.00000000" it's because the system is not getting being synchronized, but if you get something like "reftime=bd9856b1.70bc3000" it's OK!
Don't forget to wait at least 5 minutes since you start the ntp daemon.

good luck.