1751840 Members
5283 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

0251 checksum error

stephen mcfarland

0251 checksum error

original question of 18 dec 2001 not answered! am bringing this back to see if there is someone who might know. This makes for a very frustrating day trying to find the answer. Could it be L2 cache, or ACPI,or bad CMOS battery(have changed three times),or memory problem? system is pavilion xe 743 w/ win98SE 256(two 128 sticks) check with sandra,nothing???
5 REPLIES 5
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: 0251 checksum error

I assume this is the question you are talking about:

"what is the deal similar problem with xe743 since day no help from support told changed battery,hit f5 and restart now it does it all the time must be something that is being overlooked but not sure where to look
involved process to start the pc turn on pc let it give the 0251 error hit f1 setup, hit f5 then enter then f10 then enter most times will continue to full desktop.
question is there a procedure to clear the cmos of bad memory chip? had that on upgrade"

You added it to a question which already had a Rabbit which means it was solved so no one looked at it.

I assume when you do your setup that you exit and save changes. If that's the case then my bet is that your CMOS memory is defective and that is what is causing your error.

You can get killcmos at http://www.hardwaresite.net/download.html
which should erase your cmos. You can also get two CMOS programs at

http://www.computercraft.com/docs/prog.shtml

which allow you to record and restore your setup configuration.

Ron

Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

You can also go to http://www.memtest86.com and download an ISO image to create a bootable CD. The CD will boot into a memory test that will test all of your installed memory.
(Just in case you've had a chip failure.)

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
stephen mcfarland

I have tried the following, changed the ram chips(10 different sticks)and finally it worked. Went to the site and downloaded the ramtest. Still don't know what worked, but am looking to build a system that belongs to me and not some big company. Next question,or should this go to new date, Can I use the WIN98SE OS that came installed on this HP XE743?
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

One reason can be that you had a SIMM that was slightly faster in slot 1 than the SIMM in slot 2. Clocking is set off of slot 1, so it's possible that you were "pushing" the SIMM in slot 2 faster than it safely could go.

As to the OEM 98SE CD. :-( I wouldn't. There is too much in HP's systems that is "non-standard" or proprietory. You may run into problems on a "generic" system. You can try it (since you're reloading anyway), but be prepared with updated vendor software for your cards and motherboard.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
stephen mcfarland

Thank you, it very well could be. In the meantime I found the AIDA32(@ aida32.hu)program that told me the present sticks of ram are 128 MB PC133 SDRAM,and
Micron Tech. 8LSDT1664AG-10EB1
The first one runs at 133mhz,and the second runs at 125mhz highestCAS. There must be some answers in that.
Benchmark mem read test was 341MB/s,mem write test was 138 MB/s