Operating System - Microsoft
1752780 Members
6584 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 47% system resources

Kate_5

47% system resources

I've been having problems with my presario and thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. My 'system resources' is at 47% which is up from it's previous 39%. Tech support for a new hp deskjet that I just hooked up said that he's never heard of a computer with less than 60% available. I've deleted a large number of files and tried to defragmentate but the defragmentation process does not work..it gets to about 5% complete before starting over (this happened over and over for a period of at least 6 hours). I'm at my wit's end. anyone have any ideas for me?

P.S. this thread has been moved from Disk to Microsoft > general. - Hp Forum moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Kate, I did not understand what your questions is about :o)) If it is about disk defragmenter restarts then: disk defrag tool will restart if there's any other application tries to write file allocation tables/lock disk, so defragmenter have to read all disk tables again and start defragmenting 'from the scratch' after it. The solutions may be: a) shut down all application before running defragmenter and b) boot in safe mode and try
Note that the same story happens to ScanDisk
Eugeny
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Theres a process accessing the disk during defrag.. could be a screensaver or something you should really do this in "rescue mode"

There are better defrag tools on tucows.com from disk doctor for example. The defrag algorithm is far superior to the winders one.

Later,
Bill

It works for me (tm)