108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Access 97 to 2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott Laws
Regular Advisor

Access 97 to 2000

upgrading Access 97 database to Access 2000 will not work if I have security permissions set on the DB.

is there a work around for this? or will I have to remove security, upgrade, then re-apply the security?
what? no cheese?
4 REPLIES 4
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott,

I found this in the Office 2K Resource Kit. It's kind of cryptic but maybe it will help.

You can convert or enable a secured database as long as you use the information in the original workgroup information file to maintain security. If you cannot recreate the workgroup information file in Access 2000, it is recommended that you convert it. For more information, see ?How to Convert a Previous-version Database to Access 2000? on page 456.

If your Access database is secured, you should use the Workgroup Administrator to join the previous-version workgroup database information file for the secured database. Access 2000 can use a workgroup information file that was created in a previous version; however, a previous version cannot use an Access 2000 workgroup information file.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Scott Laws
Regular Advisor

can that be found on the NET?

I know we have the MSDN set here and the resource kit should be in it....just a matter of finding it.

if its on the NET I can send the link to the customer so she can follow it.
what? no cheese?
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Scott,

Pieces of the ORK are on the web at:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/default.htm

The URL to the reference I gave you is here and it has a link to the other document it referenced. It looks like the part I was referring to is out there. Scroll down the page to "Can I Convert a Secured Database".

http://www.microsoft.com/Office/ORK/2000/Four/68ct_9.htm

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Scott Laws
Regular Advisor

thanks Jamie

BTW, the netscape case was accepted by an engineer when I dispatched it to the USS_BL netscape que under Gilles advice.

talk to ya later
what? no cheese?