Operating System - Microsoft
1748089 Members
4888 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Audio Problem With Pavilion N5425...

SOLVED
Go to solution
A.P.
Occasional Advisor

Audio Problem With Pavilion N5425...

Hello Everyone,

I am having some audio problems with my laptop. Current operating system is XP home edition. Everytime I try and play a music file this is the message I get:

"cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding"

The sound use to work, so I know the hardware is available, but I don't know how to fix this problem. I thank and appreciate to anyone who can help me fix this problem.

Thank you
18 REPLIES 18
Chandan Kumar_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Go through the following web link.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;q236396

All the best!
Chandan
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi A.P.
You can check if windows and directX detects any problems, go to START->run and type: dxdiag (hit enter)
IN the sound and music tab you can test your sound and at the bottum is displayed if there are any problems.

Something else you can try is to remove the soundcard, reboot and it will reinstall the soundcard.

Another thing is, did you test your speakers on another system? or can your test your soundcard with another speakers?

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald

The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Hi A.P.,

First check the device manager and see if windows says the sound is working.

start >settings >control panel >system >hardware >device manager

Also in the Control Panel is a sound Icon. You can view even more info from that and test the system using sound files.

If all looks OK, try reloading the device driver for your particular sound card.

here is a link explaining the how to troubleshot your problem..

http://www.directron.com/howtobuilyou.html

Rich
A.P.
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everyone for your help. I went did the test in the directx diagnostic, and it said that no sound driver was found. I also went into the device manager and my sound device is:

ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM). I don't how to recognize if there is any problem or not there?

Is there anyway I can download the sound driver because I don't think I have the original cd? If so, where would I be able to download the driver?

Thanks
A.P.
Occasional Advisor

Hey guys,

one more thing I forgot to add. When I tested the sound in the diagnostic for microsoft synthesizer...it prompted me with no sound driver found, but when I tested the sound with ESS Allegro the sound played. It seems like my sound card is working, but the microsoft synthesizer is not. I appreciate everyone that is helping me solve this problem.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

I ran into this on this model once. Make sure that the BIOS is completely up to date, and you might want to try the OEM drivers instead of the MS or HP provided drivers for the sound equipment.
A.P.
Occasional Advisor

Hey Alan,

How would I do what you are recommending? I am not a technical person.

Thanks
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Hey AP,

If you think the sound card is working, then got to:

START > RUN and type in SNDVOL32

That will display your volume levels. Make sure of all the setting and that none are on MUTE. (check the OPTIONS > PROPERTIES too)

Rich
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Here are the posted drivers for the specified PC per HP....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=65187&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=8&submit.x=10〈=en&cc=us

Rich

How Do I Assign Points?
Only the question author can assign points to a given response. If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.