1748240 Members
3841 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BIOS upgrade error

Rob Sandy
Occasional Advisor

BIOS upgrade error

I tried to upgrade the BIOS for a Pavilion 6630 machine to resolve a few performance issues. I ran the BIOS upgrade and it stated that it worked successfully. When the machine rebooted, the HP screen popped up and nothing happened. After several attempts an error appeared: 0280 Previous boot incomplete-Default configuration used. The computer would then hang up. It allowed me to press F2 to go into setup but when I did, it asked for a password (I do not have a BIOS startup password on this PC - I have no clue what kind of password it is looking for). I am able to get to the A: drive if I boot the computer from the system disk but I can not access anything else. I re-flashed the BIOS from the floppy and had the same results. I made sure that I used the correct BIOS update from the HP website (cog_209.exe). I tried to locate the prior BIOS file on the web site so I could restore the original BIOS (having a few performance issues beats not being able to use the computer at all!) but it is not out on the HP website. Could someone PLEASE help me. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Peter Toldi_2

First try to download the BIOS again and use a new floppy.
Rob Sandy
Occasional Advisor

I tried your suggestion but I am getting the same result. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Peter Toldi_3
Regular Advisor

The next step is try to clear the password on the motherboard. You should find a jumper on pin 1 and 2 and you have put it on 2 and 3 or something very similar and back again. Try this next.
Pheroz Tengra
Advisor

The mother board usually has dip switches which basically locks/unlocks the password.

You have to find the appropriate switch, set the switch to unprotect the password, reboot the system. ( At this point I was not sure on my pc that it put all the Bios values to the default state. ).

Rob Sandy
Occasional Advisor

Someone suggested that I remove and replace the CMOS battery to reset the password. I tried it and it worked great. I thank all of you who responded to my question.
Ravi_31
Occasional Advisor

When I run the bios program, I get the error

NEW DMI STRING IS TOO LARGE

Ravi