Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS upgrade error

Rob Sandy
Occasional Advisor

BIOS upgrade error

I tried to upgrade the BIOS for a Pavilion 6630 machine to resolve a few performance issues. I ran the BIOS upgrade and it stated that it worked successfully. When the machine rebooted, the HP screen popped up and nothing happened. After several attempts an error appeared: 0280 Previous boot incomplete-Default configuration used. The computer would then hang up. It allowed me to press F2 to go into setup but when I did, it asked for a password (I do not have a BIOS startup password on this PC - I have no clue what kind of password it is looking for). I am able to get to the A: drive if I boot the computer from the system disk but I can not access anything else. I re-flashed the BIOS from the floppy and had the same results. I made sure that I used the correct BIOS update from the HP website (cog_209.exe). I tried to locate the prior BIOS file on the web site so I could restore the original BIOS (having a few performance issues beats not being able to use the computer at all!) but it is not out on the HP website. Could someone PLEASE help me. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
6 REPLIES
Peter Toldi_2
Occasional Visitor

Re: BIOS upgrade error

First try to download the BIOS again and use a new floppy.
Rob Sandy
Occasional Advisor

I tried your suggestion but I am getting the same result. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Peter Toldi_3
Regular Advisor

The next step is try to clear the password on the motherboard. You should find a jumper on pin 1 and 2 and you have put it on 2 and 3 or something very similar and back again. Try this next.

The mother board usually has dip switches which basically locks/unlocks the password.

You have to find the appropriate switch, set the switch to unprotect the password, reboot the system. ( At this point I was not sure on my pc that it put all the Bios values to the default state. ).

Rob Sandy
Occasional Advisor

Someone suggested that I remove and replace the CMOS battery to reset the password. I tried it and it worked great. I thank all of you who responded to my question.
Ravi_31
Occasional Advisor

When I run the bios program, I get the error

NEW DMI STRING IS TOO LARGE

Ravi