1752810 Members
5876 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C Drive Defrag

Kathleen Mclatchie

C Drive Defrag

I have tried several times to defrag my C drive (as a preventative measure).
However, once I start the defrag program, it never completes more than 1%, even
after 24 hours. And when I try to use the program to scan the disk for errors,
I get a message that says the program has had to restart over 10 times and to
shut down any programs in use. I have nothing open except my desk top. What
am I doing wrong?
7 REPLIES 7
Jamie Hughes_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Kathleen,

This could be a problem related to Find Fast. If you are sure that you don't
have any anti-virus software running in the background, you could try to
temporarily disable Find Fast and see if it is the culprit.

Open up Control Panel, double click Find Fast. On the Index menu, click Pause
Indexing. Then try running Disk Defragmenter again. You can turn Find Fast
Indexing back on by following the same steps.

If that doesn't work, write us back and tell us what operating system and
version you are running. Also, are you running the built-in Disk Defragmenter
or another 3rd party product or utility?

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Dennis Ng
Regular Advisor

Check for any Tray items running(near the clock on the Taskbar).

Most likely:
1. Anti-virus program

Else goto win.ini
Check for any prog that is being auto run.

Start | Startup also could give some clues to what is being run during startup.
Not everything that can be counted counts; & not everything that counts can be counted.
Dennisse Barreto
Occasional Advisor

I haave the same problem. With Jamie's and Dennis recommendations at least I could defrag but still can't scandisk. Can you help me?
Entre m├Яs se sabe m├Яs se sufre.
Dennisse Barreto
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem. With Jamie's and Dennis recommendations at least I could defrag but still can't scandisk. Can you help me?
Dennisse Barreto
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem. With Jamie's and Dennis recommendations at least I could defrag but still can't scandisk. Can you help me?

I also have other problems if somebody could help.
1- With Msworks everytime a want to change the fonts an error message is received.
2- When I comunicate with another computer they can hear me clearly but I can't however I don't have problems with mediaplayer or other medias.
3- My computer freeze too often.
Anthony Ishmael
Occasional Advisor

I have had to disable the screen saver. This has happened several times on different machines. Usually the machine is running a screen saver by microsoft--one of the open gl screen savers.
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Hey!

I hate to say it, but everybody is on the right track. If anything access the hard drive during the defrag or scandisk, it will stop the process, and then start over from scratch when whatever is accessing the hard drive is done.

There are many things which might be accessing the hard drive, so MY recommendation is similar, but instead of hunting down individual things try the following (I apologize because I did not understand if this was 98 or NT)...

Win98
1. Restart the system into safe mode, by restarting the computer and tapping the F8 key as it restarts. Ignore it if it starts beeping as you hit the key, the kbd buffer is just full. Keep doing it.

2. As the system restarts, and you are tapping the key, a menu will appear, choose Safe Mode.

3. This stops most of the drivers and startup sftwr.

4. The use CTRL-ALT-DEL to go to task manager and stop all the stuff that may be running. Do not try to stop Explorer if it is listed.

5. After everything is stopped, verify there are no icons left by the clock (on the left hand side of the task bar) and if there are, click (or right click as necessary) and stop them.

6. Start the scandisk or Defrag. They should run alright now.

WinNT

1. Restart the system, and a menu should come up asking for the version of NT you want. Choose WinNT 4 VGA mode. This does not stop nearly as much as safe mode in 98, but has a similar affect.

2. Use CTRL-ALT-DEL to start Task manager, go to processes (not applications) and try to stop ALL the processes EXCEPT Explorer and Task manager (obviously.) If they say they will not stop, that is fine, just try to stop all of them.

3. Then go to Start, Settings, Control panel...then Services Icon, and try to stop all the services. If they will not stop, that is fine, just try.

If you see TRC_boot, do not try to stop it. It can lock the system.

4. Start the defrag or Scandisk and off you go.

Hope this helps!
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie