Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CD/DVD Writer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jenna_1
Occasional Contributor

CD/DVD Writer

I'm new at this, so bare with me...I have a Compaq Evo N800C with a CD/DVD RW - I understand that I can use this drive to burn data/music to CD's, but is there software so that I can burn data/music etc. to a DVD-R. I have Roxio loaded on the system and when I go through the program there is an option for burning a DVD Data project - when I try it states that there is no DVD recordable device detected. So if there is a software program that I can use to burn to DVD's that will not negatively effect my new laptop - please response. Thanks
6 REPLIES
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: CD/DVD Writer

What OS? 2000, XP Home or XP Pro?

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Jenna,

There are a couple of possibilities -- are you sure you have a DVD writer, or is it a CD-RW (CD writer) which will also play/read DVDs? I tend to think that's the case based on the message you see. If this is true, you have two choices: you can burn a CD(RW), or you can purchase a DVD writer and install it to your system.

Hope this helps (HTH),
Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
Jenna_1
Occasional Contributor

Just to add some more data to my previous post, I am operating on Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Jenna
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

You must have a DVD-CDRW drive. The following things can be put in your multibay, got it from the online manual.

1.44-MB diskette drive
24X Max CD-ROM drive
8X Max CD-RW drive
8X Max DVD-ROM drive
8X Max DVD-CDRW combination drive
40- or 30-GB hard drive
LS-120 drive
8-cell battery pack

Roxio is a little strange with there software, even if you do not have a DVD-writer in your laptop/pc there is still a option in the menu.
If you want to burn DVD's you have to
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Jenna_1
Occasional Contributor

I have checked and I have the 8X MAX DVD-CDRW Combo drive that was ordered with my laptop.
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor
Solution

Then you can Read DVD's and CD's and burn CD-RW and CD-R

Hope you question is anwsered now,I'm sorry for you that you can not burn DVD's
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"