1748058 Members
5130 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: CMOS Checksum Error and Previous Boot Incomplete

Mary_66

CMOS Checksum Error and Previous Boot Incomplete

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with starting up my Windows ME.
When I turn on the computer, it will sometimes stay on the HP invent screen with ever going to the desktop. When I reboot the computer it will sometimes go to a black background with white lettering having information about the BIOS and other system information. At the end of the data it shows “System Configuration Data Updated
ERROR 0251 : System CMOS checksum bad
-Default configuration used
ERROR
0280 : Previous Boot incomplete
-Default Configuration used
Click F1 for set up F2 to resume.

I tried to press either F1 or F2 though it seems as if my keyboard is not responding. I also changed the CMOS battery. I should also note that I recently changed my processor fan since the black thermal grease on the heat sink virtually melted away. I’m now using the white soft pack stuff.
I hope you can give me some suggestions or advice about what would be the best
way to remedy this proble
6 REPLIES 6
Pat
Honored Contributor

Hi, Mary,

Try restarting and once you see the HP Logo tap F8. Use the down arrow key to Select Last Known Configuration and press enter.

If that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall Windows.

Pat
Deane Palliser
Advisor

Personaly I would be worried about the "System Configuration Data Updated" error as your BIOS shouldn't get updated and/or changed unless you specifically do it. Although if the CMOS battery is dead you will be reset to defaults every time you start the computer. I would enter the BIOS and set it to the setup defaults and see if that straightens out the problem, this is not a Windows issue, this is a system board/eprom issue. Malitious (virus) activity CAN affect your BIOS in very BAD ways. Make sure your BIOS is protected from inadverdent changes by locking it from within the BIOS when you set to default.
Colin Gomes
Advisor

hey mary,
think its a virus . such weird stuff happened to my pc a month ago , had to reinstall windows . thats the only way i guess.
Venkatesh_16
Respected Contributor

Webshaman

Hi Mary,

Having read through the threads you will need to purchase a replacement systemboard.

Some older HP units allowed for a 'Blind' Bios flash but as you have no keyboard function that option is not available.
OliviaU

Thanks for the great post. I'll save it for reference. 
Best,
Olivia at http://www.ampronix.com/