Operating System - Microsoft
1752794 Members
6375 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I upgrade BIOS from HP web site?

S Ross
Occasional Contributor

Can I upgrade BIOS from HP web site?

Here's the deal. I upgraded my memory today. Memory's in tight. However, it's as though it's not there at all. No beeps, no errors, just not there. Someone suggested that I need to upgrade my BIOS (I have an HP 8756c), but I can't find the version 6.04 2.1 under my model number. Does anybody have any ideas? This web site is not really good for troubleshooting or for getting information. I have been at this for five hours now and still am no further than I was five hours ago. I'm very frustrated.

Thx in advance.

S
3 REPLIES 3
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

Your computer will support up to two 256MB memory pieces with the following specs:

SDRAM, 100 MHz,
Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification,
revision 1.0 compliant

The latest BIOS seems to be over 3 years old:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&softitem=pv502en&prodId=hppavilion25728&lc=en&plc=&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

It could be too that your new memory is just not compatible with your motherboard. Seems that is not an uncommon problem these days.

Where did you buy it and did you get a money back guarantee? That's important.

Crucial division of Micron has a site where you may get good upgrade recommendations and buy RAM (no they aren't the cheapest around but do have good guarantee) as well.

www.crucial.com

If you bought PC133 thinking it would "bus down" to PC100 you should know that many brands will not...and say so. PNY is one such.

Some Generics will...like KByte and Kingston

Some of the newer chip configurations on RAM will not work in older boards...so then you are stuck with buying used and older ram ...and running the risk of it not working.

Sorry I could not be of more help...there are lots of these RAM stories floating around these forums and no easy answer...a lot of trial and error....and luck.

Best to you.
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
S Ross
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the memory advice. I had thought of that because I've run into the same issue upgrading other computers here lately.

I'm also glad for the specifics on the memory brand. This was, as far as I could tell, the same memory specs from Comtread (which was the least expensive), and one of my concerns when I got it (it was payment, over a month ago, so no money back, for an upgrade I did for a friend) was it had stickers for both 100 and 133, which everything I read said should work, but I have since found out doesn't.

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I really appreciate it.

S