1748089 Members
4896 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot get the computer to recognize other computers on the network

Virginia Dickenson_1
Occasional Contributor

Cannot get the computer to recognize other computers on the network

I have four computers. An older HP Omnibook that runs Win2000, a 3 year old Dell, a six month old Compaq laptop, and a new (<3 months) HP pavilion that was refurbished from Fry's. All three of the newer computers run XP.

I have never had a problem with any of the computers "talking" to one another on the network (through a wireless hub) until the pavilion -- it will not recognize any other computers on the network. I have run the wizard several times without success.

HP support claims they are not responsible for networking issues. I apologize if there is a solution to this currently posted; I could not get the forums page to go to a specific issue group.

My email is tygger281@yahoo.com -- thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

Hey,

Do you have ping to something?
What is the output of ipconfig /a?
May be you have firewall on the computer?

(btw, I think in Windows forum you will find the answer faster)

Best regards,
Alex
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
Virginia Dickenson_1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply...actually, I think I finally fixed it, at least for now. (most of my problems go away when I choose another virus protection program other than Norton.)
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Virginia,

The first thing that springs to mind is that they all need to be on the same subnet...

Assuming all your PCs are using TCP/IP, how are network addresses being assigned? Static or using DHCP?

On all of your PCs, open Network Connections and select "Local Area Connection". In the left hand pane, there will be a bit that says "Assigned by DHCP" or "Configured manually" - do they all say the same? Check the subnet mask, usually it will be 255.255.255.0, what is it and are they all the same value?

Next if it is 255.255.255.0, then all computers on your network must have IP addresses where the first 3 'octets' identical, e.g. 192.168.0.x

Let me know what you find.

Regards,

Gary
Virginia Dickenson_1
Occasional Contributor

Gary, thank you! I was able to fix the problem...think it was something simple, and only with the HP pavilion; just a setting of some type. Also, just installed F-prot and all is running A-OK!!!

Thanks again!!!