Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command Prompt in Windows XP Home

SOLVED
Go to solution
James Caldow
Advisor

Command Prompt in Windows XP Home

I have an HP notebook running XP home, and require some assistance with the command prompt feature. Whenever I open the command prompt the default command line reads
"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>". If I try to change this to C: using the "cd" command the command line remains in this initial state. I have several commands that I require to use on a daily basis that require to be started from the C: prompt. Is there any way to make XP Home display just the C:\ prompt?
Many thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Command Prompt in Windows XP Home

Right-Click on the Command Prompt Icon.
Select Properties, then on the Shortcut tab change the line for "Start in" to:

%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
James Caldow
Advisor

Re: Command Prompt in Windows XP Home

Many thanks for the prompt reply Jon. Your solution worked like a charm. I now have full control over the command prompt once more.