108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Evo N800v screen problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hayley B
Occasional Contributor

Compaq Evo N800v screen problems

i have previously posted in what i think is the wrong forum, so sorry for posting my problem again.

I have a problem with my laptop that is just out of warrenty:

Compaq Evo N800v
TFT monitor is faulty.
Once booted, the display is grey, misty and text is illegeble. If watched while opening, at an angle of about 40 and 50 degrees, the image becomes fine, as it should be: clear and sharp. Past opening 50 degrees, the image goes back to it's faulty state.
I need the machine at about 100 to 120 degrees to use.
If the monitor is pinched just inside the left hand hinge on the frame of the monitor at the bottom, the image is corrected. A lot of pressure is required though.
I feel it's a faulty connection at that point, or somewhere similar.
I use the screen at a pixel setting of 1400, but i can't now. the only way to see a legible image is to drop the pixels to 1024. Even this is not as it should be though.

Any ideas on how to get it fixed or what is wrong with it? Is it worth fixing?
3 REPLIES 3
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

HI Heyley,
Everything looks like a hardware problem, iven before windows boots the screen is fulthy? (Compaq logo, or when you enter Bios)

If the above is the case, you should replace the monitor itself and this is rather expensive, maybe on ebay you can find a second hand, but it is not 100% sure it works, if the connector in the laptop itself is also damaged it would not work.

Have a nice day,
Regards, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Alan_152
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you have to pinch a certain location, either the signal wires or the power to the backlight inverter have gone south. You can sometimes get a cheap replacement cable set off of eBay, or you can try to build your own out of some ribbon cable (I did that for mine -- it is ugly, but it works).

The damage should be obvious if you take the thing apart, and since the unit is out of warranty, you have nothing to lose.
Carl Nielsen

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my N800V.
I can tell you that the cable located near the left LCD hinge that you are pressing on is the LCD signal cable. It also connects to the inbuilt microphone.

These cables are not available from HP individually. You have to buy a full priced complete LCD housing from HP.

Your other option is to join me and many others on an ebay hunt for this elusive cable.

I ended up pulling my laptop apart and selling the parts.

:( :< >:|