1748285 Members
3692 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Confused

Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Confused

Need help. Too many motherboard in the market. Is AMD 64-bit CPU ok compare to Intel P4 Hyper Threading? Which chipset is good - VIA, NForce, 865G/PE, and others? 478pin, LGA 775 or 800FSB? Too much variety. Need to replace my HP M/B. Thank you in advance. (do not know why issued with this icon - I am not an expert).
Emptiness
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Confused

Danny:

Your looking to understand alot of different things here....

First off, the processor you want depends on a few things. Mainly, what you will use the PC for. Do you need something that can run a 64bit OS and 64bit apps? Both AMD and Intel put out some competitive products. Currently, I thik AMD is giving Intel a run for thir money, but me personally, I try to stay away from AMD cpu's. Just personal prefrence I guess, but would consider them if a need arose that an AMD would be better suited for.

Hyper-threading is a nifty feature to have in general, but having a true dual core cpu would be better. Both AMD and Intel make dual core products.

An intel chipset would probably be most compatible with an Intel processor, while others(VIA, etc) have similar functionality perhaps each with a few distinct features.

478 and 775 are Intel cpu socket/pinout types while FSB is the Front Side Bus Speed. This is the speed that the cpu and memory and system bus uses t o talk to each other. AMD uses Socket 754 or 939 and 940

Think about a few things and let us know...

What will this box (whether it be a PC or a Workstation or a Server) do? What apps will run on it?

Also, in your profile, you have yourself marked as an expert for the catagory of "Microsoft: General". If you feel you are not an expert, feel free to access your profile and make the proper changes.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Danny Khong_1
Advisor

Thanks Steven. As a PC to work from home and use by kids for their school work. Word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and others beside emailing, surfing and some downloading. Additional - how are about which laptop is reliable and value for money?
Can't reconfigure the expert settings when clicking the submit, it wouldn't accept the new changes whereas other areas ok. Please advice. Thank you.
Emptiness
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

For what you just described, you don't need a 64-bit computer to run what are going to be, essentially, 32-bit office suite applications. A previous generation P4, a decent amount of memory, a well-tuned copy of Win 2000 Pro, and a corporate install of Office 2000 would be what I recommend for you. Throw in a decent video card, and your kids can play games.

I don't know what the policy on advertising is here, and I'm not affiliated with this group other than being a loyal customer, but you'll find some great off-lease workstation refurbs at www.pcsurplusonline.com . I've been getting these (http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=6881) for my SOHO customers as they are rock solid, cheap to obtain, and are fast as they were former CAD workstations (they may be a bit expensive to upgrade a few years down the line, though). I also have a certain fondness for Dell GX series units, as they are plentiful and easy to upgrade.