Operating System - Microsoft
1752794 Members
5699 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Create a Windows 2k server (stand alone)

Neil Davis_2
Occasional Advisor

Create a Windows 2k server (stand alone)

Hi,

I am looking to setup a windows 2k server in a lab environment so it will not be on a network, just stand alone, at present it is part of a workgroup with a static IP address and teh DNS server address the same, I am having problems setting up active directory - "the wizard cannot contact the DNS server that handles the name......." then my Active Directory installation fails!

Any help would be great - there is something I am not doing right!

Cheers

Neil.
8 REPLIES 8
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: Create a Windows 2k server (stand alone)

Hi Neil,
if you set DNS address as same of you PC, you must activate DNS service.
I don't know exactly win2k :-( so I can't help you directly; I think you have to remove DNS address if you cannot start DNS service.

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Neil Davis_2
Occasional Advisor

Antoniov,

Many thanks, you have been a great help I will try this and.... fingers crossed!
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

You can select an option to automatically install DNS during Active directory installation.
Generally it simply configures the localhost itself to be the DNS server for Active directory
Neil Davis_2
Occasional Advisor

Alexander,

Is that option available in the wizard when running dcpromo?

cheers

Neil
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

After it tries to locate DNS -if it wasn't found you should get an option to let the wizzard to install the DNS for you....

Let us know if you still have problems...
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

I was under the impression that the initial Server had to be in a domain (as a PDC or primary DC) in order for the active directory setup to be successful.

In addition, make sure that you reference the DNS server (even if it is itself) in the network setup DNS area.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

if this is a lab environment, it's probably not connected to the rest of the world. DCPromo may be failing to get the . or .com DNS structure.

take a look at this MSKB about private roots and home network AD
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;237675
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Rameshwar_1

Hi,

You need to install the Microsoft loopback adapter to install the active directory on a standalone m/c that is not the part of any network. Or u can install the netbeui protocal to resolve the computer to install the active direcoty.

Cheers
Rameshwar