3745 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating permissions for a directory

Michael_207
Frequent Advisor

Creating permissions for a directory

Hi.

I have some space on a server from where I would like to give some of my friends access. How can I allow them access to a directory without compromising the rest of the files? I would ask for assistance from the host but they don't speaka da Englis.

Is there someway to change permissions (have tried with ftp pro and only allows me to list directory or make one or delete one...)

We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
8 REPLIES 8
Michael_207
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the friendly advice - "friend". But I don't know how to change permissions on a file on a server(ie not my own computer).

Do they allow negative points in this forum? Like -5?
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Change the name "Friends" to whatever you want that will make sense to you.

1. Create a new group "Friends"

2. Create a user for each of your Friends, and make them members of the group "Friends".

3. Create a new directory "Friends"
Share it as "Friends"

4. Go into the Security tab, and ONLY allow Admins and the group "Friends" access to the share remove the other groups. Give them full control (if you can trust them). :-)

Jon

"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Michael (aka Donald Duck?):

I couldn't reply to your e-mail so here is the answer:

Click Start/Help and Support. In the Help and Support Center, select Security and Privacy, then Protecting Files on your Computer, then Protecting your Files and Folders, then Related Topics, then 'Set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders'. I think that's what you want. Let me know.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Michael_207
Frequent Advisor

Nope - I have a measly 56k connection and so I want to allow my friends to access the files on the server of my internet site - which is not on my computer but on a remote system. (space provided by a company that is hosting my site).

The reason being that they have a much faster connection.(and I have many friends, ;-) who will be wanting to dl.)

I would also like to allow them to upload.

The Donald duck was just my first effort at using an anon. emailer. You see, I keep on getting these crumby emails saying something to the effect of "the presedent of Ghana has died and there is no-one to claim his billions of dollars so if you give us your account details we will deposite it with you for safe keeping..."

So this evening I lined up a few good proxies, used this program (phasm 3000) and bombed the hell out of the reply email.

Just a bit of fun to get back at those spamming bas*****.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

OK Michael:

So assuming you have space on the ISP server, can you create a folder there? If yes, can you right click it and what options does it give you?

My ISP let's me create an FTP server on his machine. Do you have such an option? If yes, you could grant access by username/password.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Michael_207
Frequent Advisor

Roger, ( and anyone else interested)

Please bare with me as this is the first time I have tried this (and my first site - you can see it at www.turkish-carpets.com but note that it's only 2 weeks old and still under construction).

I can creat a folder and can delete it(only if it's empty), rename it and move it.

When I connect via with ftp using ws_ftp pro and I right click on a directory I get the following options:
Copy
paste
select all
list
details
make dir
change dir
append
rename
delete
refresh
dir info
sheduler
properties
"ftp commands" which gives a list of the following:

cwd pwd syst site quote list mlsd nlsd retr store chmod(unix)

and help, which gets the following reply from the server:

214- The following commands are recognized (* => unimplemented).
USER PORT RETR ALLO DELE SITE XMKD CDUP FEAT
PASS PASV STOR REST CWD STAT RMD XCUP OPTS
ACCT TYPE APPE RNFR XCWD HELP XRMD STOU AUTH
REIN STRU SMNT RNTO LIST NOOP PWD SIZE PBSZ
QUIT MODE SYST ABOR NLST MKD XPWD MDTM PROT

and then this at the end: 214 hatalar icin yako@turkticaret.net which probably means for help email here, but I have not received reply (probably as he does not speak enlish.)

When I go to their home page (www.turkticaret.com) everything is in Turkish and as I am in a village, the few people that understand a bit of english don't understand pc jargon to translate it. I will check how to set up an ftp server and try.

Thanks - will get back to you

Michael_207
Frequent Advisor

sorry - www.turkticaret.net

Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

FTP Voyager (http://www.ftpvoyager.com) from Rhino Soft allows you to change permissions in a remote folder, as well as many other options - is better than others usuall ftp sw for that.