Frequent Advisor

Re: DOS Driver for HP NetServer 10/100 TX PCI LAN Adapter

Are you talking about the D5013A?

Diana
HP
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Many of the HP network cards now use an AMD chipset.

Here is what I would do...

Install the card on a w95 or w98 box, and let the box auto-detect the card.

Note what choices it suggests. For example it may suggest a Novell/Anthem 1500, or an AMD such and so or...

You can also use a tool like NTDIAG or the device editor to take a look at the firmware/BIOS identification banner.

Then look for a driver given that additional hint.

If you are using a DOS client such as LANMAN, 3OPEN, or Netware, or Windows for Workgroups, you may be able to jury-rig something into place. You will need to guess at interrupts, and you probably won't be able to use DMA (fast memory access) but if you really must...I have done this many times succesfully.

I have also failed more than a few times. You may be far better off just buying a $15 network card that is supported in a DOS environment... although those are probably getting harder to find.

If you must do DOS, I would look for a NOVELL 1500/2000/2100 clone of some sort, they are simple, basic, slow, and pretty much supported everywhere.

As an aside - try downloading our drivers from the web - you may find that inside the bundle there is a DOS (or LANMAN or NETWARE or...) directory, or at least a readme.txt that gives you some help.

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

In such a backwards compatible mode you probably would not be able to control whether it was 10mbit or 100mbit, and there is a good chance it would be stuck in 10mbit.

Also, some card locate themselves at a memory address that is simply unavailable to DOS.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Brendan Gormley

I think this page should give some more info. I have attached the zip file just to be sure.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x19f76c96588ad4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html