4792 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Defrag & Scandisk

SOLVED
Go to solution
N Jack Houston

Defrag & Scandisk

When I run scandisk I get "Scandisk must now restart because another program (or Windows itself) wrote to your disk. Any errors that were previously reported, but not corrected, may be reported again." It will not complete the scandisk process and keeps giving this message. Also, like Kathleen Mclatchie, my disk defrag will not complete more than 1% and goes back to 0%. I have disabled my virus program and no other proprams are running and the only thing open is my desktop. I have gone to the control panel but there is no Find Fast on it as Jamie Hughes suggested. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Live like there is no tomorrow
17 REPLIES 17
Jennifer Chiarelli
Regular Advisor

Sounds like you have some disk/file corruption. Also sounds like you are running Win95 or Win98. And therefore this is not a NTFS file system - correct? If that is true, then I would run a program called SpinRite to attempt to recover. You can find information about SpinRite at www.grc.com.
Good luck!
It's a binary world!
Stefan_2
Solution

Hello Jack

You need a stronger tool than Scandisk of Windows.
I advice you to use Nuts&Bolts utilities(McAfee prod)
wchich is also able to diagnoze & fix a lot of PC
problems.For your specific problem,N&B has a disk
scanner called Disk Minder,which is able to fix disk
errors in much better way than Windows.N&B is a
shareware which you can use free 30 days-time enough
to repair your PC.Below you have a direct download link

http://www.rocketdownload.com/dnload/nutsbolt.exe 13.5MB

If you're interested to try this program,please contact
me at best5@searchalot.com because it must be installed
in "custom mode" and I shall send you the installation
instructions.Be well!

Stefan

PC N&B has also a very handy defragmenter,but defrag will be
possible only after fixing disk problems.
Amicus Platon,sed magis amica veritas
N Jack Houston

Thanks Lanny. I am on windows 98. Did get my scandisk to complete a run and show no errors found, but still can't get my defrag to work, won't complete over 1% and goes back to 0. I checked the spinrite as you suggested but the cost seems excessive. Any other suggestions to get my defrag to work would be appreciated.
Live like there is no tomorrow
Stefan_2

Hello Jack

You need a stronger tool than Scandisk of Windows.
I advice you to use Nuts&Bolts utilities(McAfee prod)
wchich is also able to diagnoze & fix a lot of PC
problems.For your specific problem,N&B has a disk
scanner called Disk Minder,which is able to fix disk
errors in much better way than Windows.N&B is a
shareware which you can use free 30 days-time enough
to repair your PC.Below you have a direct download link

http://www.rocketdownload.com/dnload/nutsbolt.exe 13.5MB

If you're interested to try this program,please contact
me at best5@searchalot.com because it must be installed
in "custom mode" and I shall send you the installation
instructions.Be well!

Stefan

PS: Defrag cannot be acomplished until the disk will not
be fixed.N&B has a very good defragmenter also.
Amicus Platon,sed magis amica veritas
bill smith_1

I dont have a direct answer but You might look into your actual number of files in your directories. Depending on the OS and fileing system, you might be running into lack of resources(not memory) or some OS's will let you put (lets say) 500+ files in a directory and say its ok yet start overwriteing files due to limits in the OS.
Win9598ver1. Hope this helps or jogs someone elses mem. who might help. That would Explain both scandisk and defrag.
If everyone were as smart as they thought we would all be in trouble.
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Scandisk is most likely repeating because some other process is accessing the disk while it is running. There are a lot of processes running around in there that may not be shown on your desktop directly. The usual culprits are the tsr processes displayed in the right hand side icons of the system tray. There is a good application out there that will give you a much clearer indication of what is actually going on under the hood. I suggest that you download a copy of TaskInfo from http://www.iarsn.com This is a really sweet program that operates much like the TaskManager in NT, but is much more complete and runs under Win9X as well.
J Fowler
Occasional Advisor

Installed a HP OfficeJet R80xi on a Compaq450 Win95 workstation today. Now, Scandisk gets stuck in a loop. If I end task on 2 HP items, scandisk will complete the process. Is there a fix for this?
J Fowler
Occasional Advisor

Installed a HP OfficeJet R80xi on a Compaq450 Win95 workstation today. Now, Scandisk gets stuck in a loop. If I end task on 2 HP items, scandisk will complete the process. Is there a fix for this?
J Fowler
Occasional Advisor