108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Defrag & Scandisk

SOLVED
Go to solution
J Fowler
Occasional Advisor

Installed a HP OfficeJet R80xi on a Compaq450 Win95 workstation today. Now, Scandisk gets stuck in a loop. If I end task on 2 HP items, scandisk will complete the process. Is there a fix for this?
J Fowler
Occasional Advisor

Installed OfficeJet R80xi on Compaq 450 Win95 workstation. Now scandisk gets stuck in a loop except if I end task on the two HP items running
Timmy_2

It seems like their is a program running who's writing to you're disk.
I would press ctrl+alt+del and close al progesses except explorer, en then try to run an defrag or a scandisk that should work fine
B. D.

I have found that the best & simpilest way around this problem is to run scandisk and defrag in "safe mode". To do this: First, disable your screen saver then click Start, and then click Shut down. Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu appears. Select safe mode. When you finish scanning and/or defragging, re-start your computer. This should work without a hitch!

Dave_36
Advisor

I was getting the same error. Before you try any of the other posts make sure your screen saver is disabled (If you have one loaded). This is an inherent problem in 98. I'm not sure about 2000 or ME.
pabrown

Since I was advised to run defrag in safemode, I no longer have the problems of defrag not completing anymore. Sometimes, it may start over again several times, but I just be patient and let it finish. My defrag has been taking from 6 minutes to 20 minutes max. This is a 40 gig harddrive and I perform defrag, normally, on a routine weekly basis. Also, I run scandisk, while in safemode, just prior to running defrag. Has been working great!
What's this world coming to!!
kleiser

Addressing the ScanDisk/Defrag problem, try
START>RUN>msconfig>STARTUP. Uncheck
small groups of programs until you find the
culprit. If the program isn't loaded, it can't
interfere with ScanDisk or Defrag. With my
HP and Win98, the program WINAMP was the
culprit (This was a version of WINAMP
downloaded in the summer of 2000),
Happy Holidays!
Elizabeth Vail
Advisor

turn off your screensaver &
any background/wallpaper that
cycles. good luck
betsie
It's impossible to listen if your talking as well.