1753974 Members
7782 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Deleted a User which also deletes personal information

Jean Marie Kirby
Occasional Contributor

Deleted a User which also deletes personal information

I needed to delete a user on my PC Compaq Presario because of a Script error that would not & locked up my machine. Computer warned that personal documents such as email would be deleted. What I wanted saved, I saved through the Administrator. To make sure the Quicken Bank Account was not deleted, I made sure I backed it up and used it on my new profile. But after I deleted the User, I could no longer find my Quicken bank accounts and I have worked weeks going through every single file. It has to be that our "community" bank account got deleted. I had began using the Quicken program under my new user name but after I deleted the main "user" (even though it ceased to have administration), it did not come forth. I have gone through Quicken.Com & phoned them and none of their rules apply. Could it be that personal programs that are erased with the User could still be found?
4 REPLIES 4
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Hi Jean Marie,
You got in to very unpleasant situation, but before we could suggest you anything, please let us know OS version and service pack running on your PC, as well as what steps you followed in deleting User from your PC? For example, in Win XP SP2 you could do it by:
1. Control Panel => User Accounts
2. My Computer => Properties => Advanced => User Profiles Settings
Regards :-) Ed K.
"If you see a house, you're convinced that there is a builder. If you see a garment, you're convinced that there is a tailor. If you see a universe, you are convinced that Someone created it." (R. Akiva)
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

If you are using Windows XP, you could try System restore.

Go to Start | Run |
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Hope it helps.
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Jean Marie Kirby
Occasional Contributor

I am sorry I was so long in responding to questions of deleted bank/Quicken information, I got overwhelmed in work. I had tried for weeks trying to find deleted data decided to just try and remake my files as best I can. Also, the computer shut down from multiple copies generated, until I deleted these. However, any recent information is in a Maxtor Backup. If you still feel you can help, fine. MY COMPUTER is Compaq Presario PC, 2000XP Windows. When my computer originally got tied up with Script errors that I could not debug and would not let me open, I changed users and then my computer worked fine and I used the Quicken program. But my original User with most of my files was useless so I wanted to get rid of it. I know I backed it up on the computer but did not make a disc because they always came as read only and to do otherwise was time consuming. But going to Control Panel, as administrator, I put the to-be-deleted User as limited and saved its documents in a special Document folder, and I saved that Quicken Data to the Documents to make sure it got saved there also. Maybe at first after deleting the user, I just could not find it, there were so many files but also shortcuts would not work. 2000XP has restore to a preceeding date, so I did that but it did not restore documents, it said it would not change these. I have really given up and I have a lot of work because my taxes weren't done either. But, no use to cry over spilt milk, I will put my fulness and do what I can anew. All life is full of stumbling blocks if we let ourselves get tied up.

ANOTHER RESPONDSE said to "Go to Start/Run:%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe Can you just tell me, will I lose other data, I am just unsure of general "restore".

ANOTHER RESPONSE gave me address which I will look up, thank you!

BUT DO NOT TRY TOO HARD ANY MORE, I THINK I HAVE LOST IT. HOWEVER, IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE AN ANSWER FINE. I WILL TRY AND GIVE FEEDBACK FOR ANSWERS WHEN I KNOW A LOT OF CONCERN WENT INTO SOME. THANK YOU.