108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Desk top

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Desk top

I have quit a few icons on my desk top. And every couple of week's I have to put them back in the order I want tnem. Then later I turn my computer on and they are all scattered all over the place again! Why won't they stay where I put them? Signed, Frustrated
9 REPLIES 9
Norman_21
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Desk top

Hello Sugar,

What OS are you running. If it's Win2K or WinXP then you can set it up through the Local Group Policy.
Start>Run>gpedit.msc
User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Desktop>Don't save settings at exit " set it to Disabled"

But if it's Win98 then try this software Iconlock, you can do alot with it including saving the Icons settings.Download it from here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,22743,00.asp

Also, in Win98 go to the following registery:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer and remove the following key if found:
NoSaveSettings

Hope this help.

"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
James C. Nix
Frequent Advisor

Something so trivial and SO irritating!

I use ICONOID, a simple tray utility with some neat tricks like time delays on icons disappearing/re-appearing based on cursor position. Also has resolution specific save settings.

Iconoid (freeware) works with "NT, 2000 and XP as well as the whole Win9X family".

Iconoid
http://www.sillysot.com/
I must hurry for there goes my group.... and I am their leader.
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Hi there! Thank you for your reply! Will this program work for Windows 98 2nd. edition as well ! Is that the download link you sent me. Thanks again! Sugar
James C. Nix
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sugar,

Yes, it works on 98SE (all Win 9x). I would be surprised if you had any problems.

Its a prety flexible program. I especially like that you can save different desktop layouts for different screen resolutions.

It also handles icon scrambling caused by game playing very well.

The web address is:

http://www.sillysot.com/

Try the "Icon Dance" if you download it.

Jim
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

M'i understanding you right in saying that every time my son get's on the computer-that is why my icon get scatered all over the screen? He is 11 yr.s old and play's those game's almost every day????
James C. Nix
Frequent Advisor

It depends on which games he's playing, the screen resolution, the game resolution and how he exits the game program. (I think the phase of the moon is involved too! :)

Its not just games either but any application that thinks it owns the desktop. Full screen games do seem to be particularly ill-behaved.

If your son is accidentally re-arranging the icons, which is not hard for small hands to do, then you can:

Download and install Iconoid (other icon utilities may work this way as well)

Arrange your desktop to your liking. Specify in the Iconoid POSITION menu:

"Use separate positoning for each screen resolution."

"Automatically restore icon positions when Iconoid starts or when screen resolution changes."

SAVE your icon positions!

Check the "Hide When started" options.

When the icons get scrambled, right click Iconoid in the tray and select "Restore icon positions"

That should do the trick.

Whatever the cause, Iconoid will save and restore icon positons.

There are only a few important options to set for basic operation:

Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

He plays alot of games. I'm not sure whichbones are doing it. But I have spoke to him several times about changing my icons. And he swears he not doing it.Do I find the Iconiod menu in the start menu? Where there be a icon/shortcut to get to it on my desktop now that I have downloaded it?? Thank you for keep writting me back! It's almost 2:30 a.m. here in maryland on thr East coust and I'm just typing away on the computer. Just another single parent thing I guess. And of course the moon! If I pray to the moon goodness- do you think she will give me a life. I know I'm attractive, so why do I spend all my time typing on the computer instead of looking for Mr. Right? Maybe I could meet someone who is a computer genius!
James C. Nix
Frequent Advisor

The Iconoid download is a ZIP installation file. It does not automatically install itself

I am going to assume your computer has WINZIP, WINRAR or another similar utility installed, if not thats another subject.

First of all, this is a "Safe program to install, the worst that can happen is you don't like it and un-install it". Those words will appear on my headstone.

1) Locate the downloaded zip file "ICONOID.ZIP" on your computer. To search for it, Win98SE, hmmmmm, click START and look for the SEARCH or FIND option (I think).

2) Double-click on the ICONOID.ZIP file and the ZIP (WINZIP, WINRAR etc) utility will open it.

3) Double-click on the SETUP.EXE in the ZIP window and click "OK" or "Next" to every prompt for the default installation.

If you took all the defaults the ICONOID setup dialog box will be displayed, an ICONOID shortcut will be on the desktop and an ICONOID button will be in the system tray (I'm working off my XP so forgive me if it's not exactly the same on Win98SE).

4) In the dialog window select the POSITION tab and turn on (check):

"Use separate positioning for each screen resolution."

"Automatically restore icon positions when Iconoid starts or when screen resolution changes."

5) In the dialog window select the TRAY tab and turn on (check) all entries.

6) In the dialog window select the OPTIONS tab and turn on (check) all check boxes and select (check) the HIDE button.

7) Close the dialog box ("X") selecting "Don't prompt" and "Hide" options when prompted.

8) Arrange your desktop, right-click the Iconoid tray icon and select "save Icon Positions".

Your desktop icons will disappear and re-appear based on cursor position with these settings. If you don't like the behavior, click on the Iconoid tray icon, and adjust the settings. Note there is a "RESET" tab at the bottom of each menu that returns all settings to installation defaults.

NOW, close all open windows, right click on the Iconioid tray icon and select "Do the Icon Dance.

I love turning that on while someone is out out lunch as a joke!

Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Sure hope I can handel your instruction's! I will try my best! Or you can call me collect @ (410)671-7676 Thank you-"You funny Bird!"