Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR MESSAGE IN MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS E-MAIL PROGRAM

william kendrick
Occasional Visitor

ERROR MESSAGE IN MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS E-MAIL PROGRAM

WHEN I TRIED TO OPEN MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS, A MESSAGE FLASHED==CANNOT FIND C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE. IT APPEARS THAT THE FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPTED. I LOOKED INTO MS SUPPORT TO SEE IF THEY HAD THE PROGRAM TO DOWN LOAD--BUT NO LUCK. IT APPEARS THAT I MUST REINSTALL WINDOWS XP--BUT I DO NOT WISH TO DO THIS. IS THERE ANY PLACE THAT I CAN FIND THE OUTLOOK EXPRESS PROGRAM TO REINSTALL? OR IS THERE A WAY TO FIX THIS?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP
4 REPLIES
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ERROR MESSAGE IN MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS E-MAIL PROGRAM

Have a look at this link on how to repair or reinstall OE
http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_6.htm
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

As Jules has pointed out, Outlook Express is an integral part of Internet Explorer. Reinstall Internet Explorer, and you will get Outlook Express re-installed.

As a precausion though, I would backup (or copy) your OE folders.

They "should" be somewhere around:
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\<{big_number_here}>\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Rainald T
Honored Contributor

William,
in the futuere pls refrain from using CAPS ONLY.
It's really bad to read. And in the world of e-communications UPPER CASE means SHOUTING.

TIA
Rainald
Omar Senussi
Honored Contributor

download and reinstall IE6, which should, as noted above, also sort out Outlook Express..
There is a suggestion you should also modify the registry.. CAUTION: back up your registry BEFORE you make any changes!

If you are having problems only with Outlook Express 6, proceed as follows:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit Registry
Then download and install..
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx
If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs... You haven't understood the situation!