108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Excel Document

SOLVED
Go to solution
COURTNEY RUSHING
Occasional Contributor

Excel Document

I have a excel document but I only want to use it to do expense reports. Can I use other software if my document is on excel?
Thanks
Courtney
12 REPLIES 12
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor

Courtney,

I think your question is "if I put my expense reports in Excel, can I use this information inside of other software."

The answer is probably, depending on what you want to do, but it may take a little work. For example, you can make Excel data show up in a Word document. Excel is a very popular format, so a lot of programs should be able to reference it, but Microsoft programs are most likely to work well.

If you tell us what software and how you want to use the expense report data, someone might be able to give a more detailed answer.

Regards,
Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
COURTNEY RUSHING
Occasional Contributor

Hello again! My boss sent me a copy of an expense report to do my expenses on. I dont have excel, all I have is Windows XP. The XP was already installed on my computer. I am not a computer person and tech people really get upset at me if I call for stupid stuff! I am 31 and I can kinda use a computer! Please help!
Thanks
Courtney
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

There are free excel viewers, but only a few software programs that can read an excel spreadsheet.

Is the expense spreadsheet meant for personal use or business (for your office) use?

If it's for office use, perhaps you can ask to have MS-Office installed on your home system.

I'm courious though.... with some computers, along with the OS install you will get a "Business suite" installed that sometimes will have tools similar to word and excel. Do you have any programs installed like that?

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Mic V.
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Courtney,

Ah, now I understand! I can't speak for your tech people, but "I need Excel for an expense report and I don't have it -- would you please install it" is NOT a dumb question in my book.

Personally, I think your workplace needs to either install Excel for you or provide a computer with Excel where you can do your report. Anything else is unfair, if they're going to continue to insist on having Excel.

There are some other things you could use, but if you're not a computer person, it may not be so easy. I think the most appropriate one is "OpenOffice":

http://www.openoffice.org/

http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.0/

(You did a great job to assign points -- many people don't assign points ever. And by the way, I don't look down on you at all! But I think you already know that to finish out your working life, you will need some skills -- your local community college might be able to help, they frequently have open entry/open exit computer classes. Best wishes!)

Regards,
Mic
What kind of a name is 'Wolverine'?
COURTNEY RUSHING
Occasional Contributor

Hey I have 2 computers. One is for work which is a HP Jornada and then my home computer is a Compaq. I have excel on my work but not on my home. I want to do my expense report on my home because my work computer is so small!
Thanks
Courtney
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Check with your IT staff concerning getting a copy for your home.

Just food for thought, why not print hard copies of the blank expense forms and hand write in the expenses.

Microsoft Press's MS Excel Step by Step book is very helpful..........

Jim
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

Microsoft gives a free download of excel for various purposes. Check with Microsoft downloads to determine what is best for you.
I use it to interprete spreadsheets written in Excel.
John
COURTNEY RUSHING
Occasional Contributor

The purpose in having a computer is to get rid of paperwork that I have to keep for a year. It would be easier to do it on the computer and save them! I will look under Microsoft but if there is a particular program, please let me know!
Thanks
Courtney
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Hi Courtney,
If u don't have excel in your home..what u can do is save the excelsheet as a comma or tab separated text file and take the text file to home.. change the data in the text file and then bring back to office and use excel to convert to excel..

I think this applies only to the data and not for the formula's .. just a thought..

Ganesh