1752812 Members
6370 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Excel document opens slowly

Adam Sommer
Occasional Advisor

Excel document opens slowly

I have an 11.7M excel document that opens very slowly. I was just wondering if it was because of the size, excel, or something else.
I have tried the document on two different machines with the same result. One is a P3 933 and the other is a P4 1.2G.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Excel document opens slowly

Excel loads the complete spreadsheet when attempting to open it, unlike Access which will attempt to page portions in and out of memory.

Thought about saving it to Access, or working sepperate (external) spreadsheets through a summary sheet?

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Adam Sommer
Occasional Advisor

Ya I've thought about working several external spreadsheets through a summary sheet. But I'm not sure how to go about it exactly.

Do you know of any links that have a good tutorial?

I'd be greatful.
Patrick Ruane
Valued Contributor

I agree with Jon, and my preference would be an access database. 11.7mb is big for a spreadsheet but i have seen bigger. One thing that might slow it down when opening is if it contains a lot of calculations. To stop it from running calculations when you open it, go into tools > Options > calculation and set it to calculate manually.

If you still have problems, try linked spreadsheets as Jon says. There should be lots of help in the Excel Help file, just look for Links. Basically, copy a cell from one spread sheet, then right click a cell in the master sheet and choose Paste Special, then click Paste Link. Bear in mind links will be updated when you open the master sheet, which may slow things again, but this can be disabled in the Options as before.

HTH

Patrick.

+-----------------------+
One point off a hat!
+-----------------------+
working harder, making better, doing faster makes us stronger
Adam Sommer
Occasional Advisor

Thanks I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I appreciate your help.