1748182 Members
3399 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Excessive Power Usage

michael503

Excessive Power Usage

I have a Compaq sr1030nx. the past several days it has been running severely slow.
When I look at the usage indicators under the task manager performance tab -- while typing this message, no other apps open (save for spyware software running in the background) -- says i'm using between 1% and 100% of my power and it varies for no reason that I can see. Page File usage goes between 270MB and 100% of the PF availible. After running a partial disc cleanup (approx 75% which took 10-12 hours before I stopped it) of my C drive and restarting the problem got much better but usage still occasionally spikes.

I do have a good amount of music on here (ITunes). About 5 GB worth. Only a few programs/software. I'm using firefox's newest browser (which also runs like a slug, if at all). No non essential programs are listed in running apps.

More specifics...As of now with much better performance
Physical memory(K)
Total: 458224
Available: 81916
Sys Cache: 194124

Kernel Memory:
Total: 53080
Paged: 42472
Nonpaged: 10608

Commit Charge:
Total: 311800
Limit: 1079904
Peak: 337980

Totals:
Handles: 8972
Threads: 438
Processes: 33

Keep in mind, this is SIGNIFICANTLY improved from previously when it was running so poorly. In hopes of keeping the problem from happening again, I am seeking the advice of all your kind souls out there who frequent this forum. Thanks in advance!
1 REPLY 1
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: Excessive Power Usage

what this has to do with HP-UX, I have no idea.
Looks like this should be under Microsioft, moving to more appropriate forum
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!