3468 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: FS7600 blank screen, "on" light blinking

SOLVED
Go to solution
CF Long

FS7600 blank screen, "on" light blinking

At first the screen display was normal. While investigating a typing program last night, the display first showed a the graphics in incomplete colors, it was florescent looking, very hard to read the text. After rebooting the disc 2 times and the same result, I shut down the comp. and restarted.The same thing occured, odd colors.I rebooted one more time. This time the screen was blank and the "on " button was blinking.
What is the significance of the blinking? Could this be a problem the program(disc) created? Any opinions, suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

You a possible bad monitor. Plug it into another PC to see if it does the same problem.

Jim Kisco
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor
Solution

I see that the FS7600 is a Compaq Monitor, rather than an HP or Compaq PC as I first assumed. From that, I assume that when you say "...the "on " button was blinking", that you mean that it's the power button on the monitor and not on the PC it's connected to?

If so, I agree with Jim. Trying a different monitor would be the first thing I'd do. NOTE: IF the power cord and monitor cable to the PC unplug from the back of the monitor (some do, some don't), then be sure that when you try the different monitor you use that test monitor's power cord and monitor-to-PC cord too rather than using the power cord and monitor-to-PC cord that came with the problem monitor. That will also rule out damaged cables.

If there's no difference, then it's a different problem, probably related to the hardware on the PC. It could be the video card or some other hardware issue. Finally, it could be a damaged operating system. Things like this can be hard to track down.

Again, if there's no difference, you didn't say which operating system you're running on the PC, but assuming it's a Windows operating system, take a look at device manager to see if there are any problem devices, especially the video card. Note, however, that a video card can be going bad and sometimes still show OK in device manager.

Let us know what you find.

Pat
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Oops, forgot this.

Insert this right after the paragraph on trying a different monitor as the first next step.

This again assumes you're running some version of Windows. Try booting in to safe mode. To do so, restart the computer, and shortly after the monitor goes dark and they begins to display again, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. You might have to play with this a few times to get it, but you should see a list of boot options come up. Use your up or down arrows on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter.

Safe mode will look "funky" because it takes your video card back down to the very basic functions and it's lowest resolution, but the colors should be more or less correct there.

Finally, to answer your question "Could this be a problem the program(disc) created?". Almost certainly not if you didn't see any warning messages during the install (like this program is incompatible with this version of Windows or something like that). The only other thing I can think of that might be program-installation related would be that the disk you're installing it from is a copy that was burned from the manufacturer's original set-up program or disk on a PC that's infected with a virus, which might have added a copy of itself (the virus) to the disc during the burning process.

Pat
CF Long

Thanks so much for your response. I realize now how much info I left out after reading your detailed response.
You are correct I was refering to the monitor power button and that it was Windows OS.
I hooked it up to my laptop and attempted to switch screens to the ailing monitor. Nothing The blinking had even become eratic by this time.
I think it may have been a combo of a few things besides the possiblility that it was just "it's" time.

It was a a favorite sleeping spot for several of the cats, for one. It may have just been over heated one to many times.
I took the back of to check for fur,dust and what not. I saw nothing unusual. Nothing burnt. There wasn't even much dust.

I opened the pcu case and cleaned everything.
Didn't see anything there that was obvious.
Went out to get another monitor, hooked it up and WALA, working unit!
So thanks very much.I'm keeping the info you sent for further refernce.

Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Good.

I'm glad that it was the monitor. That was certainly the simplest problem to resolve.

Pat