108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Formating with just a recovery file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Korupt
Occasional Contributor

Formating with just a recovery file

Hey guys I just recently bought a HP Desktop (m9340f) and I want to format it (I don't like how the patricians are set up and they pre-installed all this crap on it) but it didn't come with a OS (Vista Home Premium x64) CD it only has some RECOVERY file in the D:\ drive. Is there any way to format though that file, and how? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Brayden_W
Occasional Advisor

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is in the boot screen (the blue HP page that displays when you boot your computer) has an option in the bottom right corner that says press F# to restore system (replace # with the number it says).

The bad news is this restore returns your system to factory standard, meaning the OS (Operating System) as well as all the boggy software it came with.

I'm a customer of HP just like you and I too came to this sad realization with my Pavilion. My recommendation is to create some system restore points and uninstall everything with an HP in front of it and hope it doesn't screw up your system. However, I have done this and my system is still packed with HP files and registry entries I'm not sure are safe to delete. I'm running a top of the line system and am barely making a turtles pace through programs. If you fight and win this software war, get back to me. Otherwise, my only suggestion is next time you buy a computer, go custom, or go home.
Korupt
Occasional Contributor

Ok I understand but what if I get that recovery file on a CD/DVD and then format with my own Windows CD. Would that work or will I mess up the system? And also a question about that recovery file, it's put in my D:\ patrician, and on the D:\ patrician it's 11.3GB big and it has 1.51GB free space but the only thing that's in it is a that recovery file and when i right click -> properties on it says it's only 6.62MG big. What's with that?
Brayden_W
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I'm not sure how computer savvy you are, but I'll assume because you know how to partition and all that stuff I'll assume you're quite comfortable with computers.

The D:\ recovery partition only allows you to burn it to a disc once. I myself got the retailer I bought it from to do it for me, if you didn't you may or may not still have that 1 chance to burn that partition to a disc. If you can't burn it you can call up HP and they will ship you one free of charge I believe. However, if you're up for it, there is another way to burn the partition to a disc.

If you've tried to access it from windows you'll have noticed it was locked, but there is an alternate solution out there and it's called a Live CD. A Live CD is an operating system that can run right off a CD without installing anything on your hard drive. I use one called Slax (slax.org). Slax is run off Linux and therefore does not need to follow rules set by windows. Using Slax you can access the D:\ partition and copy and paste it into a folder you can access through windows. When you do that, take the CD out, and go back to using windows you can then use a program like Nero to create a bootable disc. However, this won't help you much because it will still come with all the software from factory shipment.

From what I understand you want to install another OS and format over the recovery partition, but you are wondering if this will damage your system and if you will be able to return. I can't help you with this and if you'd go back to the forum and see the post right below this one (currently) I am asking the same question, but am getting no replies.
Korupt
Occasional Contributor

I finally got it, I used the recovery manager that's included to make recovery DVD(s) and then just formatted. Thanks for your help!