1752734 Members
5189 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Freezing

SayeeSreedhar
Occasional Advisor

Freezing

I have been using HP Pavilion computer 8622 with Intel Pentium Processor 667 MHz since august 2000. The OS is win98 second edition. My computer gets frozen very frequently especially while using the mouse to scroll. In such situations nothing works other than turnning off the computer and restarting.I cahnged the OS TO WINXP PRO but the same problem is continuing.Any Help is much appriciated.
19 REPLIES 19
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Freezing

Please check all the fans and look for any airflow obstructions (especially between the front bezel and the front metal case).

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

If it happends with a clean install, it could be an hardware problem.
Does the winXP invent logs say anything when the pc freezes.

What kind a mouse do you have USB? had a lock problem when an specific USB mouse is connected. An other USB or PS/2 mouse did not give any problems.

An other question, did you overclock your pc?
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
SayeeSreedhar
Occasional Advisor

I am currently using the Microsoft USB optical mouse.Previously I have used HP's scroll mouse which is ps/2.As I am getting the problem of freezing I have changed to USB mouse but there is no change.Still my computer hangs without any reason.Help is much appriciated.

Thanx in advance.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Could be either hardware or memory related.

Add any new hardware lately?

Make any changes to memory, or add memory?

It's also possible that you've got a bad stick of RAM. http://www.memtest86.com has an ISO image that you can download and burn to a CD that will allow you to boot, and run SEVERAL intensive memory tests to detirmine if any of your system memory is bad.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Chronic freezing points to a corrupted install of Windows 98, but also bad hardware.

1. Try either a re-install of Win98 or save your data and do a clean install.
See you tried the WinXP so, probably not the issue.

2. If it continues, it is probably the motherboard. I've seen the problem fixed by replacing the motherboard many times.

I personally think its the motherboard, since you tried the WinXP install already.

Jim
SayeeSreedhar
Occasional Advisor

Firstly I would like to inform that this freezing thing is happening since the day of purchasing of this model.When I have complained about this to the reseller he didn't do anything except to reinstall the OS with the recovery disks.I thought that its happening with win98 so I moved to WINXP PRO even then I am getting this problem of freezing.It doesn't give any errors it just freezes. I am fed up with this model.So I request can any one help me regarding this matter.As suggested by John Finley I will test the memory with the tool memtest.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

When you purchased the system was it new or used? If used, there may be something added to it since HP made it. Tell us what devices/add-in cards/etc it has. How much memory is there? How much HDD free space? What external devices, if any, are there (serial/parallel/USB/etc)?

Please try installing the chipset (i810) driver and latest BIOS from here:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion20801&lc=en&plc=&softitem=OS%20Independent&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

Run MSCONFIG and select 'Diagnostic Startup' and see if that helps. Let us know results please.

Thank you.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Doing John and Roger's suggestions will narrow things down and move the troubleshooting forward, but in the end motherboard swap will be the best turn around to fixing things.

Since there is no error messages, this only reinforces my belief that the motherboard is bad.

Scout out a replacement with your vendor.

Jim
SayeeSreedhar
Occasional Advisor

This is Reply to Roger Faucher

To my knowledge the system I purchased was new.When I first switched On the system what I found is that the sound card is not

recognized.When I have restarted the machine the sound card is recognized.This problem started to occur frequently.Another

problem was the Freezing.The system Freezes 5-6 times a day.When I complained about this,the vendor ran the rescue disks and

the problem was solved to some extent,the sound card problem was gone.But the problem of freezing was not solved.The vendor

told me at that try to update the windows and mcaffe antivrus from their respective websites.I did all those updates but the

problem wasn't solved.I didn't add any new hardware at that point of time.

Recently a year back I have added 128MB SDRAM,Pinnacle Studio Pctv card and a 80GB Hard disk as a slave.I have replaced the

hp scroll mouse with the microsoft's USB Optical mouse.I changed the OS to WINXP Pro.Even then the problem wasn't solved.The

freezing continues without any reason.

Regarding the link that you have given.I already updated my inteli810 graphic chipset to latest version 6.13.01.3196.
About the BIOS update I didn't do.

Today I've tried to update the Bios as since my version of Bios is 1.10(04/11/00).As from the link given by you I have

downloaded the Bios update Version 2.10 and tried to update the bios as instructions given in the HP'S Website.I am unable to

update the BIOS.I've created a bootable Dos floppydisk and tried to boot but I am getting an error saying no C drive is

found.I think this error is coming since I am using the WindowsXP Pro and my hard disk is in NTFS Format.I have also searched

the internet for help and finally found one solution.

The solution says that copy the Bios update folder to the bootup floppy disk and run the Bios Update. The Bios update started

to some extent and after that I got the the following error.

PhoenixPhlash Error
File does not contain the same BIOS part number
PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT

I request help regarding this matter so that I can run the Bios Update without having any errors.

Thanks in Advance.