New Discussion юеВ

Re: Graphics Card Heatsink Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

Graphics Card Heatsink Problem

Folks,

I recently purchased a WinTek Ti4200 G Card.

However, one of the little heatsinks that covers the various chips on the card has fallen off.

What's the best way to affix this back in place without losing cooling effiency or grip.

The LAST thing I want is the heatsink falling off inside the computer with obvious results a few seconds later.

Many Thanks,

Barry
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick M├╝ller
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello Barry!

Is it the gpu or a ram cooler?
how was it fixed before it fell off?
try to put a little of cpu cooler paste onto the cooler and fix it with simple tape or if that does not work try to put small drops of a powerful glue on it.

Leadtek Graphics Cards are equipped with cooling for the Video Rams to provide better overclocking capabilities... they are not needed if the card is being operated inside its normal specifications...

640K ought to be enough for anybody. -Bill Gates 1981
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

Patrick,

Thanks for the reply,

The heatsink in question is a RAM cooler. One of about six half-inch square heatsinks dotted round the board.

I kind of thought that about the ram chips not needing cooling when running normally but its not the kind of thing I wanted to chance!

You think just a tiny drop of superglue will do the trick? I have some silicone heat transfer compound. Should I use this also?

Many Thanks,

Barry
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

Most overclocker shops will sell glue specifically designed to permanently affix heat sinks.

I'm not sure of the thermal properties of superglue, but i think it's a reasonably good insulator.

try http://cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=148+0073
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Patrick M├╝ller
Frequent Advisor

i'd subscribe to what thomas wrote... the link contains the optimal solution.
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

Cheers fellas,

I followed the above instructions and the heatsink is now firmly attached.

My problem is now that the screen view is corrupted from bootup with the new Gcard installed.

Just hope its a driver problem!

Thanks,

Barry
Patrick M├╝ller
Frequent Advisor

from bootup? is it corrupted in bios mode already or after some minutes?
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

I had a Geforce4 MX440 - when I replaced the card witha LeadTek A280LE, I booted into WinXP no problems - The OS detects the new card and I installed the new drivers.

UPon reboot, I notice the old funny coloured block from bootup even before WINXP loads. When I got to the WINXP login screen, it grinds to a halt and there is graphics corruption all over the screen.

Tried the above with the drivers that came with the card and also the latest Nvidia 53.03 drivers with no change.

The former owner of the card advises me to try out some 4x.xx driver and that is my next thing to try but I cant see how this will make a difrence??

Barry
Patrick M├╝ller
Frequent Advisor

if the screen is corrupted before xp starts, then the drivers cannot be the problem...

seems that the card is somewhat defective... did you overclock it already?

if not, turn the pc off and test if the gpu or the rams got hot...

if they are not, then it's not a cooling problem and you should return your card because then one of the chips may be broken