Operating System - Microsoft
1752494 Members
5423 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HD upgrade and data transfersb,& What do you use?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith C. Patterson
Frequent Advisor

I believe there is an application called "KAZAA" that will allow you to download a "trial" copy of Norton Ghost Corporate;)
Of course, I myself have never used it;).

Check it out if you need to.
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hello !
I've found this solution for NT. Not sure if it works in Win2k. You need scopy utility from Resource Kit. Sorry for mistakes, it's my translation from russian.
1. Connect new disk as slave
2. Make NTFS partition on it
3. Do scopy : : /o /a /s
Using this command you will have to do Backup and then Restore User Rights.
4. After copy done, remove old HDD and set new one as master
5. Boot from Installation Diskettes and restore all excepting "Check System Files"
If you have a lot free time, you can install temporary NT in minimal configuration and make copy using scopy from this system. Since files are not being occupied by the OS, all you need to do is only restore boot record.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

OK,

Let???s just say that I forgot to mention that the machine in question is running on a Win2k Server platform. I???m guessing that the idea of using the Partition magic is going to be pretty well out of the question at that point (based on what I have seen so far, that is).

I???m guessing that the only thing that this leaves is the Symantec Ghost idea (but even that will have to be on the Corporate level software if what I have found is correct).

Let???s say that I am able to get my Server Support group at my company to loan me a copy of the Norton Ghost 7.5 Corporate Edition for an evening (just a hypothetical scenario, of course, since that wouldn???t be exactly on the straight-and-narrow).

It seems like the software will have to be loaded on a HDD in order to be capable of making the boot disks that have been mentioned in this thread. That is a true statement, isn???t it??

I have also tried to find the manuals or something similar on the Symantec site and have been unable to do so. Could someone be so kind as to point out the steps I should follow to make this new disk with larger partitions but the same info that are on the old disks?

I???m beginning to see that this can be done, I just don???t have the benefit of experience with this software.

Anybody willing to hold a ???newbie???s??? hand through this first process ??
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

John,

I don't understand why you say you need Ghost Corporate Edition for this. I suggest install Ghost 2003 on *any* win2k or winxp machine. You will create the boot diskettes on that machine. The boot diskette creation process is menu-driven. I don't think you will have any trouble with it. One of the menus is to select the DOS NIC driver for the PC that you intend to use that boot diskette for.

As far as step-by-step instructions, I really don't think you will need them. Ghost 2003 is targeted to individual PC users, small business, that kind of thing. The interface is designed to be pretty simple and straight-forward. I suggest buy a copy and play with it. If you hit a snag, just let us know.

:-) Jay

check Facebook